Bulbs blowing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my 2 ceiling fans in the living room (18 x 12 ft) and instead installed 10 mains downlighters, 5 on each side.

They all work great but I have lost 4 bulbs in a week which are 60 watt reflector spotlights 63 mm and are Wilko own brand.

Any idea why this is happening or should I move down to 40 watt bulbs?

Sponsored Links
I have never seen wilko before, would you consider them to be a cheaper brand?

How are these lights switched?

They are Wilkinson own brand. 4 for £1.79.:oops:

They are switched in 2 lots of 5.

The feed for the fan I removed now supplying 5 downlighters which are double insulated and are 60 watt max.

Well I think your first approach would be to try some slightly more expensive lamps, osram , phillips etc seem good. I do often say to people 'cheap bulbs' but in my experience it is sometimes the solution.

If the lamps are ES or SES make sure you install them with a sound contact to the centre pin. A loose lamp could flicker and blow fairly easily

Sponsored Links
Were they cheap fittings, it is more likely cheap lampholders causing it.

A lot of them have plastic type ones rather than the ceramic ones of the past.
Hence the 60 watt max rating.

Hispot halogen lamps are nice replacements for reflector lamps, but are costly and do not tend to last long.

Consider fitting a dimmer, by dimming about 10% you greatly increase the life of them reflector lamps

By using a slighty more expensive dimmer with a ramp up feature lamps seem to last longer, but it all depends on the quality of the lamps in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back