Bulbs blowing :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think we've had a bulb blow in the house for a good year or so... until the last few weeks. In the last few weeks we've had the following...

3 x LED GU10 bulbs in the kitchen (These are 12 months old)
1 x Energy Saver on the landing
1 x Energy Saver in a bedside lamp (mains circuit)
1 x Oven Bulb
1 x LED SES Bulb in the living room plus another starting to flicker (these are only a couple of months old!)

Are we just unlucky to have 8 go in just a few weeks or is it more likely to be a wiring fault.

The only thing that has changed - which I will be checking is that we had a new light in the bedroom. The old one was a triple SES light, the new one is a quad GU10 light with LED bulbs.

Is it possible that a dislodged wire could cause these problems or am I wasting my time taking that light down to check?

Anything else I should be looking at?

The LED Bulbs haven't blown fully, but they cycle between being on and then going off.

Sponsored Links
Have you got one circuit for the whole house?

The bedside lamp and the oven are on independent circuits.

A loose connection on the loop could cause flickering, yes.

But it would cause flickering to all lamps downstream of that joint, not just to one fitting.

Often the reason for lamps (bulbs) blowing is that they are faulty or/and cheap!
If you have intermittent power loss at fitting that would suggest something is loose or damaged. It would be worth having a look at both fitting a switch for these.
Remember to safely isolate prior to removing covers.

I have only have one bulb with a slight flicker.

4 of the LED bulbs (of varying quality and price) have failed. By failed I mean that they just go off, they do come back on again some as a fast flashing some as a minute or so - I believe this is where the driver circuit is failing.

Where bulbs have gone like this they are in a multi bulb fitting and the others have been fine.

Some of the blown bulbs have been cheapy no name, some have been Philips. The cheapest LED bulbs are in my room and my sons room and none of those 7 have failed.

The fitting that was fitted a few weeks back was the one in our bedroom and none have blown or flicker in there.

I've been trying to switch over to LED throughout the house. We're nearly there but it isn't cheap and not good if they're blowing!

Just seems quite a coincidence that they're all going at once, and seems a coincidence that a light fitting was changed shortly before.

My wife has just reminded me that the last filament bulb in the house (under the stairs) blew the other day as well. :(

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say there are 3 lighting circuits in the house.

The lamp and oven obviously are on separate circuits.

For the lights we have 3 circuits, upstairs, downstairs and extension.

So far most bulbs are on the downstairs circuit, with one energy saver being on the upstairs (to be fair that one has been getting slow to start up for months - so probably just age).

The rest have all been downstairs, I've just remembered I did change one light fitting downstairs if that can make a difference.

Well, it could.

If the 1 fitting you have which is intermittent is wired last on the run and is after the one you changed, a loose connection on the loop you introduced when replacing the fitting could be responsible for the fact the bulbs appear to "blow" then another time they illuminate OK.

Movement on the floor above the fitting could be responsible for making and breaking the poor connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back