Different wattage bulbs in the same light fitting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to put a 6 spot strip light on the ceiling and mix up the bulbs that are in it. Plan is to use two white led gu10 bulbs which will be 5w each and 4 green led gu10 bulbs which will be about 2w each.

Is it ok to do this?

While on the subject is it ok in any light fitting. Say an old type bayonet type triple fitting with two 20w bulbs and one 40w bulb.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as the bulbs and the total are not above the limits of the holders or the fitting it will be fine.

Your question is a bit like asking if you can put 2 vases of different weights on the same shelf.

Ha ha I could answer that with confidence regarding the shear rating of the screws holding up the shelf.

But when it comes to electrics Im not so sure. I wondered if there was issues with different current draws to each lamp causing some imbalance etc. Like I say clueless when it isn't mechanical.

Tag a query on here. Are track spot lights suitable for a bathroom ceiling or by the nature of a busbar type set up am I unlikely to find a zone approved one?

Cheers

You would have to check the manufacturers specification, to whether their product conform to the environments of the bathroom and if the ceiling is within the bathroom zones, that the equipment is suitably compliant.

Sponsored Links
I've never looked.

But unless you've got a few architectural features, or display items/works of art onto which you want to shine spots of light, then you don't need spot lights in the room.

In the general case, yes it's OK - and the OP is talking about a setup where it is OK.
BUT for completeness, there are some setups where the bulbs are in series and then they do have to be matched. The typical examples of these that I can think of are Christmas lights and decorations. Old fashioned Christmas lights might have had 20off 12V bulbs in series and connected directly to the mains, we still have a decoration that has 7off 36V bulbs in series.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back