Why do my R50 bulbs blow so often? Time to go LED? How?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my downstairs ALL the lights are SES R50 40w Reflector spot incandescent bulbs.
So in the lounge there are 2 x Ceiling fitments with 3 spots/holders in each. The Hall has a similar thing on a rail with 4, and the Kitchen has another with 3.
That's a total of 13 of these bulbs = 520watts . I don't think there has been a time where all of them have actually worked. I have given up replacing them as they just seem to last sometimes what feels like only a couple of months.

Is this a common thing? Are they just the worst type in terms of lifespan? Am I buying cheapo rubbish bulbs? I just go down to Tesco and pick up some standard bulbs.

These were fitted when we moved in. I was thinking of changing to LED and then I looked online and noticed that SES R50 screw type LED bulbs, are bloomin expensive @ like £8 per bulb. Where as, GU10 style spot bulbs are much cheaper. Is this because they are just more modern and now a common fitment hence more LED bulbs are developed?

You can pick up GU10 LED bulbs on ebay for as little as 1 pound each if bought in bulk.

Is it possible to modify the actual bulb holder internals so that instead of SES screw type fittings, they take GU10 bulbs? Or is the only way to buy new fittings throughout for GU10 style?

Sponsored Links
those style of lights are getting on a bit now, so it could be that the fittings are starting to fail. That said, cheap bulbs won't help and also you need to make sure you screw them in really nice and tight - much tighter than you think

If I were you I'd try one more time with some decent (branded) bulbs and if not then you can go LED. These fittings are very good and you can get a hole conversion plate which means you can pretty much cover any (larger) hole

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ownlights_Index/LEDlite_Downlights/index.html

Go for neutral white - I think the warm white is a bit too orangey

Hope this helps
SB

Edit - in answer to your Q about modifying the bulb holder - the A is no

Edit again - if you want GU10 retro fit LED lamps then you'll need this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ghts_Index/Downlight_Converter_Kit/index.html

and this

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ex/Lamps_and_Tubes_Index/GU_Led_5w/index.html

Decent LED bulbs (ie with any sort of light output) are not cheap....

Thanks.
The GU10 LED bulbs you linked to are also £8 each. I have read of people on here using GU10 LED Bulbs off ebay with no issues. I'm talking bulbs like THESE @ about £2.50 each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK-...72?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&var=&hash=item416c3768c8

I should have made it more clear. The current spots I have are like these:

$(KGrHqJHJEsFC,mG4d)yBQoSD!t93Q~~60_35.JPG

With these bulbs:

reflector-5040d-298x298.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Is it possible to modify the actual bulb holder internals so that instead of SES screw type fittings, they take GU10 bulbs?
Possible - yes.
Worth it - no, since R50 LEDs are available from the usual places, and those light fittings probably cost all of £10 originally and are not worth repairing.

The reflector bulb keeps heat as well as light from going towards the fitting but with LED bulbs there is very little heat so swapping to a standard LED SES bulb should not really be a problem.

I just bought a pair of LED candle bulbs at 1.4W each from lidi at £5 a pair may be a little too small for you but clearly the price of LED bulbs are falling.

My living room orignal design was two 100W bulbs. We changed this for two fittings taking 3 x 40W bulbs which was slightly brighter.

Latter these were changed for 5 x 8W CFL on each fitting and they were a bit too dark plus soft start was a little too slow.

I replaced one bulb for a 1.4W LED and although maybe not quite bright enough and candle shape rather than globe from the result think I will look out for more LED bulbs I was impressed. Bought them for table lamp. I would consider for me around 4W x 10 will be better than I have ever had so looking out for some at right price.

May be I have wandered off what was asked but I think the point is although to replace a tungsten reflector bulb with a tungsten non reflector bulb will cause overheating when replaced with a LED bulb this is not a problem so it is possible all is required is to replace the bulbs as they blow with any cheap SES LED bulb.

My account about my own house was to support this idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back