bulge in concrete floor in hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got an unusual problem in a rental property. House is 120 yrs old, mid terrace. Has an aluminium door straight off the pavement then a hallway with lino tiles over assuming concrete (its not floorboards) Theres a bulge that is big enough for the front door to scuff heavily over when it opens. I want to break the bulge up with a breaker then level but am a bit nervous over whats causing this bulge before I dive in. Anyone any ideas?!

Sponsored Links
yikes , just read a couple of articles. Havnt had the property long and previous buyer had had it only 12 mths. I'm surprised neither surveyor picked it up as it makes the door very noticably stiff to open as it drags across the carperted bulge. My survey was the middle one not a valuation survey.

Seems like I should be worried? that said there is no uneveness anywhere else in the house.

there is no uneveness anywhere else in the house.

Presumably the rest of the house has conventional suspended timber floors?

If that's the case and it turns out to be sulphate attack, then only the hall will be affected.

Sponsored Links
there is no uneveness anywhere else in the house.

Presumably the rest of the house has conventional suspended timber floors?

yes apart from kitchen which was re concreted...

moving forward - would I need to dig the entire hallway up. new dpc etc and re concrete or can I do a localised repair. The bulge is approx 12" diameter

the lump is quite high to be honest - prob 18mm, bear in mind the door is off the floor anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back