Bulge in corner of ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time post here.

There is a slight bulge in the corner of our living room ceiling where it meets the staircase. The bulge is dry and can be pushed upwards. It is a semi detached property which is around 30 year old. We've been in it now for about 6 months now and looks to have just been painted over previously.

Obviously it is a concern. I've attached two images showing this. Any ideas what it might be?

Ps excuse the lack of details, I'm not in construction trade myself.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 20161010_213833.jpg
    20161010_213833.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20161010_213222.jpg
    20161010_213222.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
No problem, this site is, after all, for the use of householders and DIY'ers.

Your out of focus photos dont take me much further ahead - can you do photos from further back?
It could be some plasterboard has come loose - whatever, at some stage you will have to open it up so why not do that now or tomorrow if you feel confident?
If it presents difficulties get a handyman in to open up (and maybe fix-up).

Lightly cutting into the plaster board (use a utility knife) until you can remove a small patch and be able to see "inside" so to speak will work - dont cut deep and wear heavy gloves.
Take it there is no elec device in proximity?

What about the floor or landing above - anything suspicious or any floor movement?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back