Should I be worried by my cracked and possibly bulging ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if there’s any one around for some advice over the ceiling, I’m overthinking it and getting paranoid the ceiling is falling in...

Living in a private rental, I think built late 80s / early 90s. The house is honestly covered in hairline cracks across every room where the walls meet ceilings. Learnt to not be worried by them by googling.

noticed when we moved in a year ago it looks like a bit of one of the bedroom ceilings sags a little. Again thought not much of it until today when we rearranged and are now using this room as our bedroom. I’m sleeping right below it and it’s freaking me out. I do not have any general knowledge of this sort of thing other than google and my partner has even less than me haha.

it’s a patch that (to me) looks slightly sagged. About 2 metres by 1 metre, fairly rectangular patch. Crack along on side joined to the wall (not going down the wall) a slight bit of paint flaking away where the ceiling joins the wall (for full picture this wall joins to the bathroom right where the shower is if that means anything) what’s got me most worried is I’m quite sure above this patch is where an old water tank thingy is. I don’t even know if it’s still in use or anything but I know it’s there as my brother pointed it out but that’s as far as the knowledge goes.

Any suggestions and hopefully reassurances that I’m not going to get crushed by a collapsed ceiling in the night would be amazing haha. Thank you if you’ve even read my late night paranoid ramble.

I haven’t mentioned to the landlord yet but assuming they must be aware of atleast the crack seeing as there has been 0 change in the year we’ve lived here.
Just a note as well that I stood on the bed to have a feel and it’s not wet or damp or anything like that, not soft and I can’t push it if that makes sense but there is definitely more of a creaking/movement sound when I press there than other areas of the ceiling.
Many thanks!

Attachments

• 8AF82C8E-DCE9-4C68-A1DB-CD4A3C2EFAE5.jpeg
    8AF82C8E-DCE9-4C68-A1DB-CD4A3C2EFAE5.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 326
Sponsored Links
houses built around that time , some have the rafters above spaced at 2ft centres.
combined with just 10mm plasterboards means that the board eventually sags in between, which it looks like is happening here. if it feels stiff and doesn’t move or spring when you push it then the chances are it won’t fall on you.

Thank you so much for your reply! I can sleep a little easier now :)

Been to a few like that and rubble from loft conversion or old roof tiles scattered from careless workmen after new roof fitted. The weight sits on the boards and over the years causes them to give and bend. You can look for that.

Also if it's had a water leak that would cause the bow. You can look for water stains on the plasterer board in the loft around that area. They clearly show.

Also look / feel if the board is tight to wood joists with no gaps in loft. More screws through won't pull the board up as board don't flex, so all you can do is run a polymer grap mastic along the board/joist. That's quick, cheap and no sign anything has been done and will secure the board.

Sponsored Links
94828C9E-B27F-450D-802E-9637EFF8B1F2.jpeg
Thank you! I’ve had a look up there and looks like there’s probably been a leak at some point. Assuming a long time ago though as think it’s not been in use a while and the tank is completely empty now.
The tank is sat on like a wooden platform. Could this be too weighty? Should I try and remove it?

thank you so much for your advice :)
01E09EC1-8404-4CEA-916F-1380C451C836.jpeg

Attachments

• BF72F7BA-9D3D-4D6B-B36D-EA68EB3AA7F0.jpeg
    BF72F7BA-9D3D-4D6B-B36D-EA68EB3AA7F0.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 193
The tank is sat on like a wooden platform. Could this be too weighty? Should I try and remove it?

No. The tank seems to be disconnected; is it empty? In any case, it looks fine.

If you find any insulation off-cuts (e.g. skips!) then put some there. Or maybe the bit that's supposed to be there is elsewhere in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back