Bulk buying top soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garden that needs raising. Its about 100m square and needs raising about 30-40cms. I assume you can buy soil by the lorry.

Anyone got any ideas where to get top soil from and how much this may cost.

One more thing. I will need to returf the area. Any idea on cost for lots of turf and where to get it from.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Depending where you buy it from, its going to probably cost you quite a few quid!

For that size area you will roughly need about 35-45 bulk bags, depending on what depth you would like.

Then you have the choice of soil, screened, blended etc

Our garden had no soil whatsoever we needed 200sqm done to 150mm min to seed it and 30 tonnes was enough(£504 in 2 x 15T loads, £16.80 a tonne), so that should be enough for half the area x twice the depth...

Sponsored Links
as you are raising the ground level by 300mm plus you may need planning permission if you are raising more than 300mm above the highest point

Our garden had no soil whatsoever we needed 200sqm done to 150mm min to seed it and 30 tonnes was enough(£504 in 2 x 15T loads, £16.80 a tonne), so that should be enough for half the area x twice the depth...

You sure thats right...you would need at least 150 tonnes to cover that area at that depth?[/list]

? 1 cubic mtr of soil at average moisture content is approx 1.5 tonne ?

I think 40 tonne would have done it.

Just playing with figures, toying with doing mine all over and taking out the central patio/path.

I think a tonne would cover more than 1.3x1m to just 150mm don't you? :confused:
The ground under ours is solid, nigh on impossible to get a round mouth shovel in. When it was delivered we spread it, tread it in by heels(took ages!), re raked and levelled it, then did it again. Once we were happy enough I went around with the round mouth shovel marked at 150mm and tested it thoroughly, no points were under this. It was a doddle to tell when it had passed through the soil into the glacial/fluvioglacial till below.....

You sure thats right...you would need at least 150 tonnes to cover that area at that depth?[/list]

You said 200 sqm, didnt realise you meant 20 sqm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back