Bungalow 'ringing' after fibre installed in street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrics? I am sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I am trying to get back to living in my (80's built) bungalow but it is 'ringing' and I am not able to get any sleep there now or spend any length of time in it without hearing the ringing after a while.

This started since Fibre street equipment was installed in the street, (and there is a mini cell on the corner of the road which went in around 8 years ago). I don't have fibre or Smart anything and my wifi is on ethernet, but I am at my wits end now and I just want to know if it could be worth ruling out any of the electrical wiring that could be picking up stray RF's or EMF's because since this, something is making me feel sick, agitated and making me feel like I am on high alert all the time, my eyesight and heart and ears are also seemingly affected when I am there and there is now a strange fizzling sensation in my head along with the not sleeping.

If I turn off some of the overhead wiring at the box I used to start to feel a bit better, but the ringing and (new) fizzling I hear in my head never goes when I am in the vicinity and in my garden also it is most strong. (I know what tinnitus is but this is also right inside my head, it is hard to explain, it doesn't leave me for days after I have removed myself from the bungalow and comes back when I am there). It is very distressing to me as that is my home.

I have bought a RF reader and it is picking up spikes of RF coming down on the wiring and on some of my appliances like the (not Smart) fridge, but not all of the time. When someone comes in with a Smartphone or checks out my phone line, (this was and is also giving me 'pulses' of forced air in my ears on phone calls and there used to be a lot of interference and humming, like a microwave was switched on, down the line which is strange), my boiler can spike RFs, almost like it is picking something extra up. Why would this be? I am not convinced a wiring check could help stop the ringing but I am open to suggestions?

The main ringing is about 440hz, and the loud fizzling in my head is about the 14,900hz sound. It's like a load of fizzy bubbles all the time going up the back of my neck and is very unpleasant and distressing. I have tried to source the main ring but can't hear it outside the house, but the fizzling is all around and very bad outside the front of the bungalow, that's where I think I may be picking it up. It's got to the point that I don't want the electrics on in the bungalow now but can't turn them off in the bedroom. It just doesn't seem to make any difference anymore. Something is stopping me being able to sleep there. All I really need is the fridge and the hot water.

I would really welcome any pointers on me needing to check any of the electrics which may not be helping the issue because I am kind of now at my wit's end on what to do next, many thanks...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
440Hz - could be a Switch Mode PSU in the street furniture serving the Fibre installation. That SM PSU is probably on the same phase as your house.
There could be an earthing problem in the street furniture and the noise is feeding back along the mains. I'd your house PME'd?

The other item that springs to mind is a neighbour, in the same phase, has installed a power line network extender.

Also could be the mobile phone mast with similar problem.

Sponsored Links
1710335869197.png

So where do start to get a resolution?

Your local DNO. If you don't know who that is your electricity supplier should be able to tell. Contact them with your problem.

Also you contact OfCom interference dept

And also the installers of the street furniture. (The fibre 'Cabinets'.)

440Hz - could be a Switch Mode PSU in the street furniture serving the Fibre installation. That SM PSU is probably on the same phase as your house.
There could be an earthing problem in the street furniture and the noise is feeding back along the mains. I'd your house PME'd?

The other item that springs to mind is a neighbour, in the same phase, has installed a power line network extender.

Also could be the mobile phone mast with similar problem.
Thank you. Right before a lot of it there were Fibre works done in the pavement at the end of my drive, the rest of the street seem to be taking the Fibre along the pylons overhead. My bungalow and next door the Fibre is not overhead but underground. I feel a bit better at my few doors down neighbours in the older houses, and the head fizzling isn't triggered so badly. But it is outside. Is my house PME'd, what does PME'd mean? Sorry.

I have asked some time ago and on 2 occasions for my ISP to get the Fibre people to check inside the pavement but they haven't.

What is a power line network extender, all I know is they have had a Smart meter fitted when they moved in and connected to some sort of network, I would assume. I am part of a few bungalows built by the same builder.

Last edited:
So where do start to get a resolution?

Your local DNO. If you don't know who that is your electricity supplier should be able to tell. Contact them with your problem.

Also you contact OfCom interference dept

And also the installers of the street furniture. (The fibre 'Cabinets'.)
I will look into that, thanks, because my utility provider doesn't seem interested in discussing the issue.

I may raise an interference issue once I have exhausted the issue with my ISP, which I think I have because I can't see them giving me any more visits from BT. As far as they are concerned the interference on my landline is 'resolved'and they can only suggest getting rid of the copper wiring to stop what I am picking up and going onto Fibre.

My ISP say they don't know which company installed the fibre. (I do know that since installation, along with all these things, my ISP'S bill has almost doubled.)

Last edited:
Visit your doctor and ask abot tinitus
The 'tinnitus' comes on when there and goes when I am not, albeit it can stay with me for sometime afterwards and take some time to go.

Your wife have a toy in the house she not told you about?

The 'tinnitus' comes on when there and goes when I am not, albeit it can stay with me for sometime afterwards and take some time to go.
If it's still with you when you leave the home... then it is part of you.
Tinitus does come and go and often manifests itself under particular conditions, particularly when in a very quiet place or a particular sound. A friend of mine found the sound of a particular bathroom fan brought it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back