Bungalow With Vented System Has Poor Flow To New Sink Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother has recently moved into a bungalow, that has a recently fitted kitchen. The central heating system is an older vented one.

Being a bungalow, the head to the sink mixer tap probably isn't enough. The hot flow/pressure to the tap is lousy, probably as its a modern tap, which may be intended for high pressure systems.

Can anyone suggest a way of boosting hot pressure to the tap? Should I consider a pump or a different type of tap? Alternatively, are there any clever new inventions (something with a venturi???) that may help?

Sponsored Links
its a case of change the tap or fit a pump.
easier just to change the tap.

Rip the cylinder and tanks out and install an unvented cylinder.

As SS says, easier to change the tap, and about £2000 cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far. I think I will go down the new tap route.

Can anyone recommend a kitchen mixer that is suitable for unbalanced supplies. ie. gravity hot and mains cold?

I think that the existing mixer has 10mm connections, would 1/2" help the situation?

Try and buy a British made tap.only G.B. uses ventaed (Tank fed Systems) Pegler should be able to supply what you are looking for avoid trendy italian makes ;)

Kitchen fitters arent plumbers, so check the flexi on the tap isnt tied in knots. Some people think flexis are magic and can allow water to pass through kinks an all.

A friend has suggested that the mains pressure cold could be overwhelming the hot flow.

Would it work if I turned the Isolator valve down on the cold supply pipe under the tap?

if you only open your hot tap and not the cold but the hot only trickles
how is the cold over powering the hot ?

if you turn the isolator down you will restrict the flow not the pressure of the cold.

what ever you do if the taps designed for mains pressure it won't work on gravity very well.

give up listerning to friends just change the tap.

A friend has suggested that the mains pressure cold could be overwhelming the hot flow.

Would it work if I turned the Isolator valve down on the cold supply pipe under the tap?
Pretty unlikely to have an effect, but it'll cost nothing to try it.

changing tap is by far your easiest route. most likely the tap is a single lever tap with fairly small ceramic disc cartridges (designed for high pressure)
if you look at something with 2 levers you will probably see an improvement, however for best performance a tap with screw down heads will give the most flow, as these taps open and close with washers the more you screw the more open the valve is therfore allowing more water through the tap.
as some have mentioned earlier most taps now are either manufactured in mainland europe and most often now in china, price is more often considered before quality or performance.
it is possble to find something stylish which will work on low pressure just make sure the tap requires no more than 0.5 bar pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back