burger van wiring

I expected the generator would work but working and working safely are not the same. Some fridges and freezers do not like the earth and neutral not being nearly the same and I have had Honda generators in the past where the earth and neutral were not bonded but instead earth was connected to a tapping often around 55 volts away from neutral voltage.

I expect you will want to run fridge or freezer and rather than find out the problem after doing a load of work it is so easy to test with a meter that wants doing first.

I have also seen it where 110 volts where taken from one split phase with two 16A from another phase and a 32A from the third this would mean to use it would need two or three consumer units instead of one and you need to know about this before you start doing any work.

I hope the generator is straight 230 volt supply and all what I have said proves not to be a problem but better to test before you start on other work.
Thanks , to test for bonded earth and neutral do I do a resistance check on the earth and neutral output pins , will this confirm ?

Sponsored Links
I expected the generator would work but working and working safely are not the same. Some fridges and freezers do not like the earth and neutral not being nearly the same and I have had Honda generators in the past where the earth and neutral were not bonded but instead earth was connected to a tapping often around 55 volts away from neutral voltage.

I expect you will want to run fridge or freezer and rather than find out the problem after doing a load of work it is so easy to test with a meter that wants doing first.

I have also seen it where 110 volts where taken from one split phase with two 16A from another phase and a 32A from the third this would mean to use it would need two or three consumer units instead of one and you need to know about this before you start doing any work.

I hope the generator is straight 230 volt supply and all what I have said proves not to be a problem but better to test before you start on other work.
Thanks , to test for bonded earth do i simply do a resistance test on the neutral and earth pins from the 240v output on the generator or what ?

I would simply measure the voltage I would guess it would show when you do the installation tests I think if I remember right my loop impedance meter rings alarm bells if over 25 volt between earth and neutral.

I would simply measure the voltage I would guess it would show when you do the installation tests I think if I remember right my loop impedance meter rings alarm bells if over 25 volt between earth and neutral.
Hi and thanks again for all your help, as im fitting wheels at one end I am intending welding support feet at the other and handles , do I need to take precausions to avoid damaging the generator or do I simply disconnect the battery ?

Sponsored Links
Most important when welding is to ensure the earth is firmly attached. I hate these magnet things as bad connection can cause all sorts of damage. Unplugging all you can will reduce the risks but main thing is ensure the welder is earthed well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back