double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello would it be acceptable to run a single 2.5mm cable directly to the 32amp ring main circuit breaker so as to have a double socket in the hall way about 14 feet away,any advice appreciated.thanks.

Sponsored Links
Needs to be on its own 16A MCB circuit.
Failing that, would it be possible to take a spur off another socket, or if necessary from the upstairs ring circuit. It may mean putting in a junction box but as long as it is accessable and RCD protected should be alright.

what difference does it make if he takes the spur from a socket or straight from the breaker?

none..

still on a 32A circuit..

page 153 of the OSG says you can take it from the origin of the circuit in the dist board..

You can spur from a fuseway in the CU.

It is no different from spurring from a socket point on the ring circuit, and the same rules apply.

Sponsored Links
which bring us back to the same argument that was going on in this thread..

can i then have 4 x 2.5 "spurs" from the 32A breaker?

Assuming the CU is meant to take all 6 sets of wires then I don't see why not.

As long as the circuit that originates from the 32A breaker is a ring final, that is OK. But not if it is a radial circuit...

where does it say that?

it never says you can't spur from a radial..

although, in this instance, the radial would need to be 4mm as it's 32A..

but why does there need to be a circuit at all before you can spur off the breaker to 1 single or 1 double socket?

theoretically, a double can only draw 26A max before the fuses in the plugs pop..

so why not spider wire from the breaker with as many 2.5 single spurs as you like?

( bear in mind that this is all theoretical.. not an actual desire of mine )

A double socket is not rated 26A. It is rated 13A between the 2 outlets. It is possible to have overcurrent protection downstream and fault protection upstream of the cable, however this will need to be calculated on an individual basis.

I'm sorry.

I forgot to say that if you have a 4mm² radial on a 32A breaker, you can spur off it, but a radial run in 2.5 can only be protected by a maximum 20A breaker.

Thanks all for your advice .
i`ll wire it straight in to the 32amp ring main cb,
cheers.

I didn't say it was rated at 26A.. i said it could theoretically draw 26A before poping either of the fuses in the plugtops..

From the information given for plugtop fuses on the bussmann website, in theory at least a 13A plugtop fuse can withstand 20A> for hours without disconnecting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back