burger van fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im new to this site, so unsure if this is the right section to post this.

but my mate has been on the phone to me about his burger van he has just bought and having trouble with the mcb tripping regulary. he has it situated in an old petrol station (now a hand car wash) his ccu has 2 circuits in it, one 6A mcb for the 2 strip lights and a 16A mcb for the sockets. they are on 2.5mm cable, and set up on a radial. the mcb keeps tripping every now and again. i am telling him its cause he is overloading the circuit as he is running a electric fan heater, tea/hot water earn, fridge, freezer, extractor fan (when grill is on), toaster, fly killer, and other little bits now and again eg mobile charger.

im telling him to upgrade to a 20a mcb. just need to know what you think, as the wiring seems sound.

other thing is, he is geeting his supply from the garage, so the set up is comando socket on van, 16a comando plug, 16a ced blue extension lead but on the other end, a normal 13a plug. is that safe?

also, shouldnt the 13a fuse blow before the mcb (16a) mcb tripped?

i hope that all makes sense and some one can shed some light on it.

i need to know really if i should tell him to get the garage owners to put a comando socket on the outside.

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, it does sound like he is overloading it.
An MCB can trip before a plugtop fuse (assuming there is a fuse in the plugtop of course)!
Upgrading to a 20A MCB isn't the way forward yet, he needs to get the supply sorted first then the system assessed to see if a 20A MCB is suitable, which given the loading is probably not.
He needs an electrician who is familiar with this type of setup

the wiring seems sound.
What tests have you done on it?

other thing is, he is geeting his supply from the garage, so the set up is comando socket on van, 16a comando plug,
I do so hope you mean an inlet on the van and connector on the cable.

16a ced blue extension lead but on the other end, a normal 13a plug. is that safe?
Provided nobody has bodged the fuse, the cable(s) are sound, and the right size(s), and don't run anywhere where they are a trip hazard or at risk of damage from external influences, the connections are all properly done and the outside BS 1363 of a design which retains its IP rating when in use, yes.

also, shouldnt the 13a fuse blow before the mcb (16a) mcb tripped?
Most unlikely - compare the time/current curves.

Sounds like the load is already too great for a 13A supply, so putting a larger MCB in the van would not be a good move.

i need to know really if i should tell him to get the garage owners to put a comando socket on the outside.
From their POV, why should they?

spark 123, what you mean get the supoply sorted first? you mean get a comando socket on the building rather than using a 13A plug from a socket inside the garage? why dont you think the 20amp mcb is suitable? too high/low?

ban-all-sheds, i personally havnt done any proper tests on it (havent seen the van, just spoke with him on phone)
i did mean the inlet on the van and connector on the cable.
i meant the 13amp fuse in the plug which supplies the vans ccu via the extention lead blow before the the 16amp mcb which supplies the radial circuit on the van.

cheers for the quick replies guys

Sponsored Links
Changing the MCB will achieve nothing, since the inlet connector is rated to 16A maximum.

The problem is simple - overloading.
The solution is also simple - get rid of the fan heater. Quite why anyone needs an electric fan heater in a burger van is a mystery anyway.

I mean, get an electrician to assess the loading and place an appropriate socket on the side of the building taking that into account. He will also need to assess the circuits in the van.

Changing the MCB will achieve nothing, since the inlet connector is rated to 16A maximum.

The problem is simple - overloading.
The solution is also simple - get rid of the fan heater. Quite why anyone needs an electric fan heater in a burger van is a mystery anyway.

he isnt used to working outside, so being bit of a girl lol. dont think they are busy so grill isnt on much.

One option could be to set up a changeover switch so either the heater or the grill could be used but not both at the same time.

If there's really that much necessary load in the van then it sounds as if you'll need to do a lot more than up the rating of the MCB - more likely a case of a complete refit with 32A commando inlet and a suitable supply to match at the garage end.

A 20A MCB installed in the van will more than likely pass enough current for the 13A fuse on the extension to blow, if it isn't a nail or screw instead, if thats the case then expect a small or large electrical fire somewhere! He needs his wiring in the burget van altered dramatically for his loads and then he needs a proper supply to suit, a 13A supply isn't adequate.

This might cause burns of electric supply wires.

If wires are good enough to take heavy load then you can use 20a switch. sometime we can not judge these things. so, better call an electrician and have it checked and move ahead.

This might cause burns of electric supply wires.

If wires are good enough to take heavy load then you can use 20a switch. sometime we can not judge these things. so, better call an electrician and have it checked and move ahead.

What the hell are you on about ? And by the way this post is 6 months old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back