burglar alarm battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently turned off the mains in my house, and immediately the burglar alarm outside started making a weak "strangled duck" type noise. I restored the power and the alarm went off in tamper mode.

I have cut the power many times in the 2 years I have been in this house, and the alarm has never done this before, so I would suspect a dead backup battery inside.

I've opened it up and it's a DETA 12V rechargable sealed lead-acid battery.

A couple of questions...

1) should the battery recharge itself when the mains is connected? If so, the fact that 2 weeks later the tamper is still happening as soon as power is cut means this recharge musn't be happening.

2) If it doesn't recharge, how do I go about recharging it, will a car battery charger do the trick?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you tested the battery?

If it is a 2+ year old lead-acid type, that's gone flat, then it might be sh*gged....

you must not charge a sla with a car charger it can damage them

wither the battery is dead or the charge system is but it's difficult to tell which withotu having a suitable charger

well I've just discovered that replacement batteries are under a tenner, so problem solved.

Sponsored Links
for what its worth, the batteries are "trickle charged" and should be changed every 5 years

I did find that SLA can occasionally get into a state whereby they do not back-up the alarm panel - a meter across the terminals with a load shows a low reading.

I managed to "shock" the battery back to life (less than 5 years old) by connecting a 5W car bulb across it. It took a few attempts to get it to work but it has been fine since. Probably something to do with the chemistry but I haven't looked any further

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back