burglar alarm internal speaker/siren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just replaced the 12v battery inside my burglar alarm, and when the cover was removed and the tamper alarm sounds it wasn't as loud as normal then went really quiet and then off. Put the new battery in, and all is as it should be apart from no internal sounds at all.

So I could run the tests, I dragged the little speaker outside....

IMAG1948.jpg

Now I can connect a multimeter up to the + - on the speaker.

When I put the alarm into test mode and select internal siren test, I see the voltage at the speaker oscilliating between 11.9 and 12.1V

If I put the alarm on as though I'm leaving the house so it would normally be beeping, I see the voltage oscillate quickly between 2v and 9v

Can these speakers just die?

Am I missing something obvious, or is it as simple as if it's getting the voltage then it should be producing a tone?

And if it's dead, where can I get a replacement?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
what Resistance do you get if meter the terminals of the speaker at the board - it should be quite low. I suspect you have damaged the little cables feeding it

Cheers, I'll check that tomorrow, although not sure how I could have damaged those cables as they run from the PCB to the speaker behind the upper front cover and I only removed the lower cover to change the battery.

Sponsored Links
It's a 32 ohm speaker so you should get around 32 as a reading from it , texecom sell a small speaker that's the same

Only test impedance with it disconnected from the PCB though or you'll damage your meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back