Burner lockout on Trianco oil Boiler- The photocell location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

Trianco Eurostar FS Oil Combi 70/90 boiler.

For the past 3 days the burner lockout light has come on after about 2 minutes and the boiler stopped firing.

I have read various threads on this forum this morning and it has jogged my memory that the last time this happened, about 3 years back, the engineer came out and cleaned the photocell lens.

Before I call the engineer again I'd like to try to clean the lens myself, hopefully to save funds and time.

I'm getting the impression this is a fairly straightforward task if only I knew where to locate it? So, can anybody advise where it would be sited?

I couldn't watch the engineer the last time he did it as my boiler has it's own small room and not enough space for two persons. I could try to add some photos though if it may help.

This is the HTML link to the boiler manual --- > http://www.trianco.co.uk/narchive/Eurostar/Eurostar-Combi.pdf

Thank you very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
The link you have shown is more about the boiler and the system.
You need a detailed view of the burner.
I would think the photo cell would sit just behind the flame to get a clear view and most likely located in a side hole on the burner.
There will be a cable containing two wires running from the cell back to the control box so it should not be too difficult to find.
Also it will have screw(s) to retain it in position.
I'm basing this on my own burner which of course is not the same make/model

Trianco have over the years used just about every make of burner on the market - however yours will be either a Bentone Sterling, (Red Colour with a black plastic angled cover plate on the front) if so you need a 4mm allen key to remove this cover, you will then see a Photocell just pull it backwards out of the burner to clean (these do get scorched so may need replacing)

The Burner may be an Ecoflam Minor - the Photocell is fitted on the right hand side of the burner just back form the mounting flange pull it to ther right to remove

The Burner may be an Ecoflam MAX (large plastic cover covering everything) remove plastic cover (2 screws) the photocell is beside the oil pipe entering the burner - pull the cell backwards to reomve.

When replacing the cell in the burner be aware the cell must be in the correct rotation as there is a notch on te cell body that has to clip into the slot on the cell holder fixed to the burner.

Hope that is some help

from your description I would be looking at the Solenoid coil as the culprit!! ;)

Hello MANDATE & Boilerman2.

Thank you very much for your detailed responses. I am going out in a bit to buy a small head torch in order that I can properly see within the unit as it is quite dark once I am in front of the boiler as I block the light.

I did quite a bit of searching yesterday and managed to find what the part would look like and also established the control box, that was often mentioned, was the part that actually housed the burner lockout switch. Not much I know but more than I knew before these events.

Once I have the torch I can establish where the connections run to from the control box and then decide if I feel confident enough to remove the photocell.

Also I should be able to establish the burner type (thanks Boilerman2) then proceed.

If the problem is not the photocell, and actually the solenoid coil, then I might leave well be and call the engineer.

Thanks again, I'll update the thread to let you both know how I get on.

Sponsored Links
If it is a dirty photocell, then you should ask why is it dirty. If it is three years since servicing, then cleaning the photocell and firing into a sooted boiler can cause you major problems with burnt out baffles that may not now be able to be replaced amongst other complications.
Whilst servicing costs money, many engineers are reasonable, and will give you peace of mind for the worst of the winter.

Hello again

Apologies in the delay in responding but only just managed to do as I intended.

Anyhow, no success, I located the photocell, removed it, cleaned it with a cotton bud and it was dirty. I put it back in but still no joy. so I'll get an engineer out now and update his findings. You may well be right Boilerman2 in stating the solenoid coil may be the problem but it is beyond me as to what I'd be looking for, let alone change it.

Thanks oilhead for the useful information. It is due a service having 2 years since it's last one and I'll have it done at the same time.

For anybody it may help in the future, this is my ancient boiler. The photocell is located behind the air inlet pipe in the bottom picture. I simply removed the pipe and quarter turned the photocell to remove it from the burner.
2yl48b6.jpg

Apologies, I tried to reduce the size of the photos but to no avail.

Thanks again for all the help.

The Burner may be an Ecoflam Minor - the Photocell is fitted on the right hand side of the burner just back form the mounting flange pull it to ther right to remove

from your description I would be looking at the Solenoid coil as the culprit!! ;)

As I said above!! ;)

Many thanks Boilerman2 :D , absolutely correct and just fixed.

An oil boiler company came out 10 days back and after 35 minutes of deliberation I mentioned to them what you had mentioned and he then made the same conclusion.

However, after one week of silence and inactivity I called to ask them what was happening and the company stated the engineer was not prepared to work on the boiler as the setup was incorrect. His concern was a perspex Tiger Loop that was fitted inside the boiler room as he said if he worked on it then Oftec could punish him.

I acknowledged and understood but advised that the Tiger Loop was fitted by an 'award winning' reputable company from the area and I did raise concerns at the time with both them and Oftec about it being inside. However neither were bothered. Uncertain what to make of that.

Since then I managed to find a small independent company who were willing to act on the previous diagnosis and this morning fitted the part in 15 minutes. I did advise them about the concerns with the Tiger Loop but also advised it had been like it for 3 years. They advised whilst the setup was not right that they would kindly get me running again.
A big thanks to them and they'll get future business from me when I upgrade to a new boiler.

Thanks to all on here who helped .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back