burning house coal in a multiburner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Ive recently installed a multiburner. I know that Im not supposed to burn coal in there, but I have three bags to use up (I stocked up last year when I just had a normal open fire).

REALISTICALLY, is it OK if I chuck a few bits of coal on now and then? The manufatcurers say not to burn coal because it will wear out the stove (I guess because coal burns too hot for the burner). They probably have to say this because otherwise people will heap loads of house coal in the stove. But if I just chuck a few bits in every now and then, whats the liklihood that it will cause any damage?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Burning coal on a burner that isn't designed for it will eventually cause some damage, but for what you intend it will be perfectly ok.
Its a good idea though to have a good quantity of wood embers glowing in there, just to keep the coal off the bottom of the stove.
By the term multiburner, do you mean multifuel burner, with a grate with a riddle mechanism? If so, even less need to worry!
John :)

hi Burnerman,
Yes, it is a miltifuel burner with a riddling grate.
Good idea to have a bed of ash for the coal to sit on - Ill remember that.

Sponsored Links
A bit ironic really - and certainly off topic......my home county is absolutely steeped in coal deposits but our coal these days comes from Colombia :eek: Just to maximise our carbon footprint.
Brilliant.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back