Coal on logburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a log burner, burns well with decent seasoned timber (pine, ash, etc.). I was wondering what people think to using smokeless coal on them?

Okay yes, my stove was sold as a wood burner, but it does have a large ash pan, shaker grate and bottom air supply. I would never use it to burn coal only, but......

Would it be harmful to chuck a few briquettes of smokeless coal on there, just to add to the heat? I'm not talking about a shovel load, just a few to bring the temperature up and keep it going overnight so I can light it on Saturday morning.

Sponsored Links
A multi fuel solid fuel stove has a grate and the air can enter from beneath. They are designed for coal.
Which is what I burn on mine. Or logs if I want.

O/P you have basically described the functions of our wood burner which also has glass doors. We sometimes use coal but keep the glass doors open and fit a fire guard in case of sparks. Professional chimney sweep told us this was the best way to do it when using coal.

Sponsored Links
Consider ovoids.....little smoke, more heat and less tar / bitumen than coal. Less chimney sweeping! As your stove has a grate all will be well.
John :)

Back