Question about burning coal and wood in fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in Scotland in an area that is not (currently) a smoke control area, and burn house coal and seasoned wood (not kiln dried, simply dried in the wood store next to the house) in our open fire, i.e. a traditional fireplace.

I read (here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817) that bans on burning coal and wood in open fires are getting closer.

Or to put it more precisely:

1) sales of coal and wood will be phased out / restricted
2) the regulations prohibit "the emission of smoke from a chimney" (unless you're burning authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance).

I guess that means in future I will only be allowed to burn things like coal briquettes and kiln-dried wood and in my previous experience (living in London in the 1990s) those don't produce the same kind of fire, more a glowing effect from the briquettes and the kiln dried wood sparks like fury, not producing that nice heat you get from wood that isn't absolutely bone-dry.

However, if the regulation is intended to restrict the emission of smoke (or more particularly - aimed at removing the small particles of air pollution), would it not be possible to fit some kind of filter to remove these harmful particles? I came across this "wood stove filter" https://exodraft.co.uk/product/particlefilter/esp-particle-filter/, not released just yet but looks like it will hit the market next year and will do just that - "filter out hazardous and ultrafine particles from [...] fireplace".

Would that be a solution that would allow the continued burning of "traditional" coal and wood, whilst removing the pollution?

Thanks for any insights/answers!

Sponsored Links
I emailed Exodraft and received reply that
We are launching a product called ESP10 in beginning of 2022. This is a filter designed for closed wood burning fireplaces. This will not be suitable for you needs. I cannot tell you if / when we will have a product ready for the use that you describe.
However, my original question still stands: Would it not be possible to fit some kind of filter to remove these harmful particles?
Thanks,
Stefan

I read (here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51581817) that bans on burning coal and wood in open fires are getting closer.

Or to put it more precisely:

1) sales of coal and wood will be phased out / restricted
2) the regulations prohibit "the emission of smoke from a chimney" (unless you're burning authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance)

Where in that article, or can you point me to the regulation that prohibits "the emission of smoke from a chimney" (unless you're burning authorised fuel or using an exempt appliance) ?

Not mentioned there? That article is about banning the sale of wet wood and coal... ?

Sponsored Links
I'd not plan my life based on a news article, especially as the BBC are little better than the Daily Star nowadays for content and accuracy.

This government press release https://www.gov.uk/government/news/restrictions-on-sale-of-coal-and-wet-wood-for-home-burning-begin indicates that restrictions on the *sale* of coal and wet wood for home burning came into force from 1 May 2021. "People with log burners and open fires can still use them, but will be required to buy cleaner alternative fuels – if they are not already – such as dry wood and manufactured solid fuels which produce less smoke."

As for the restrictions on "emitting smoke from a chimney", I know they currently only apply to smoke control areas (https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules). I just wonder if/when these restrictions might be widened, making more areas "smoke control areas".

Last edited:
That link describes restrictions on sale of fuels.

It does not describe restrictions on burning them.

I have an idea that would be a responsibility of local authority bylaws. For example I used to live in a place where you were obliged to burn only smokeless fuel.

Ah yes, here we are

https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules

"Smoke control areas: the rules
Many parts of the UK are smoke control areas where you cannot emit smoke from a chimney unless you’re burning an authorised fuel or using ‘exempt appliances’, for example burners or stoves."

Incidentally, I used to have a clean-burning Multifuel stove, I think it was a Morso. It would burn briquettes but also wood, paper, kitchen waste.

Open fires are notoriously wasteful and dirty.

Yes - but coming back to my original question which was basically "can I fit some sort of filter to my chimney so I can carry on burning coal and "wet" wood"? (since a filter would remove the harmful pollutants...)

But why would you want to burn wet wood? It doesn't burn well, is inefficient, and clogs up the chimney with tar which is difficult to remove.
Why not dry it first. It just needs stacking under rudimentary cover for a year.
Apart from ash of course, which famously burns well even when green

I did put "wet" in quotes. As you say, I stack the logs in a covered shelter next to the house, where they dry naturally for over a year. However, the point is that I'm just using "naturally dried" wood, not "kiln-dried" wood.

My BIL sells logs and solid fuels.
In May this year he could no longer legally sell household coal but could continue to sell smokeless varieties.
With regard to logs, he can sell wet/unseasoned logs in quantities above 2m³ but has to advise customer of correct seasoning proceedure.
Anything less than 2m³ has to be below a certain moisture content and he's invested a six figure sum on installing a biomass drying kiln that could potentially burn c@rp polluting fuel to dry the logs so Joe public doesnt.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back