Burning money

Sponsored Links
No offence JML but, clearly, with no mortgage, no debts and 2 wages coming in, you could afford to smoke but just choose not to

I'm a married mad.
A nice freudian slip

So the question is, how can they afford to smoke whereas we can't, even if we wanted to:?: Nearly £6 a packet...

Many years ago, in the 1960's, I was present at a meeting when a council workman complained about the bonus he earned that week. Also present was his trade union rep.

The worker said, "By the time I've taken of money for my fags, beer and the pools, there's nothing left to give the wife for housekeeping."

The Union rep asked him if he had put everything down on his work sheet and the man assured us he had.

"OK," said the Union rep, " I can see what the problem is."

"What's that?" The man asked"

"Your f***ing lazy!" the rep answered. And with that we went away.

All council workers are lazy ****ers who wouldn't survive 5 mins in the private sector.

Sponsored Links
Lets suppose everyone packed in smoking. As said earlier the government would lose a fortune in tax revenue but still have to pay for treating people for the effects of smoking, directly and indirectly, for decades to come.
It would also have the knock-on effect of putting people out of work, not just in this country but in the countries where tobacco is grown. It would mean less haulage drivers to transport the tobacco, possibly less shop staff to sell it, less binmen to clear up the fag ends and empty packets that the thoughtless ones just throw away. people would tend to eat more to compensate for the the cravings they would still get leading to more obesity problems, therefore more nurses/doctors would be required. But now there is even less money for the NHS because they have lost all that tax revenue. People would find alternatives such as drugs or booze. Booze alone could not replace the lost revenue and drugs don't generate any. If a majority of reformed smokers decided to go to a gym there would not be enough to cope with the demand so more would have to be built but where would the money come from. Private investment wouldn't cover the cost unless membership fees were high and after giving up fags people would want to see material things for their efforts, not go lining someone elses pockets, the government hasn't got any money because they've lost billions in revenue and have to pay out more in Income Support/JSA or whatever. Add to this people will live longer so more pension money would be needed.
There is no easy answer to this. Put the price up as high as you like, people will find a way to smoke. Tobacco will become like cannabis/dope, a network of dealers will operate on street corners/in pubs/etc or people will buy from abroad either legally or illegally from smugglers, even grow their own in the greenhouse!

For the record, yes I am a smoker, (hand roller of GV), and yes I know all the health warnings/risks etc. ;)

I respect your answer, but disagree, as I live that life, and many of my friends do. I have a car that I cannot afford to run. I can barely afford new clothes, charity shops have some really good bargains, you will be glad to know that I'm sat here in designer gear, that cost £3-10 quids, if you were to buy it on the highstreet, you would be charged probably £400 for the same getup.

And it's brand new gear, with the origional pricetag attached. So saying you can't afford £6 at the end of the week, when I can't buy a tin of beans, but you earn x10 what I receive, is an injustice. Don't spend money on crap, budget, don't buy branded products, don't waste your money when you have it, for sure you will miss it when you don't have it.

Smoking IS an addiction, and many people would choose this, to their deprement.

I'm a married mad. Both I and my wife are in full time employment and gross a reasonable salary between us. We have no mortgage, and owe about £5 to credit cards on one of thpse 0%APR thingies. We own our cars outright. Our kids are well looked after but don't demand many expensive goodies.

As I walk around, I see unemployed people milling around, or relatively low paid workers sitting outside their workplace (B&Q, ASDA etc).

So the question is, how can they afford to smoke whereas we can't, even if we wanted to:?: Nearly £6 a packet...

not shure how you know there status
how do you know they are unemployed or low paid!!

do they have big signs above there heads!!
maybe they are forming a siimilar opinion that you are a scrounger or an illegal worker because they like you have formed such a stupid irrational opinion from what you have seen :rolleyes:

Lord Landers obviously posts above his peerage, live in the REAL world.

I am more than happy to concede that I don't know their full status, a bit like you don't know what wage I'm on (curiously it hasn't prevented someone from jumping to their own conclusions of my lifestyle and spending habits) and withdraw any related unintentional sleight.

With regard to the cost - I fear that I was basing it on my own historical smoking habit of 20+ a day (about £50 per week)

It's a mystery why Mr Moody has developed an irrational "class" hatred of me. My guess would be that my username implies something - maybe he thinks I'm a posh southerner. Daft, and inaccurate presumption. Maybe the chemicals from his unfortunate drug addiction has addled his brain and he feels it necessary to defend the one simple enjoyment (vice) he has in life. If this is the case, then I apologise for attacking his raison d'etre.

It's a mystery why Mr Moody has developed an irrational "class" hatred of me. My guess would be that my username implies something - maybe he thinks I'm a posh southerner.

On a side note, here in Lincolnshire 'bloodysoutherner' is usually expressed as a single word..............

Lets suppose everyone packed in smoking. As said earlier the government would lose a fortune in tax revenue but still have to pay for treating people for the effects of smoking, directly and indirectly, for decades to come.
It would also have the knock-on effect of putting people out of work,

nonsense

if you spent the money on cakes, it would create work in the cake industry. If you spent it on cars, it would create work in the car industry.

The people in the cakes and cars industries would spend their extra wages on something else. The shareholders in the cakes and cars industries would spend their increased dvidends on something else. Round and round the money goes.

:
if you spent the money on cakes, it would create work in the cake industry. If you spent it on cars, it would create work in the car industry.

Leading to more fat barstewards driving around in cars while they wait for their heart attack, and so putting more pressure on the NHS. :wink

There is no reason to 'make stuff up', or really be nasty, when referring to people on boards. You state you are from London, you state you receive a reasonable wage, that also your partner receives too, so from those published facts, it can be ascertained at a certain level. People on the dole, as you write, can also be ascertained to be on a certain level of payment, that is well published, and available for all to see. For you to say that the level of income that you receive, and the level that someone the dole receive is misconstrued by yourself, as you say that you cannot afford £6 a week for cigarettes. When quite clearly this is a misnomer.

So don't then go on and state 'daft and innaccurate presumption', when everything is there in writing. I also explained my posts after you replied, so there is no need for rudeness.

You make a badly thought out OP post to dismiss ALL those on the dole, and tar them with the same brush. You state that you receive a decent wage in London, along with your partners wage, but cannot afford a £6 pack of cigarettes, then say you smoke 20 a day. Something doesn't add up.

Just leave it fella, I never met you, there are so many inconsistencies in what you write, none of it adding up.

but cannot afford a £6 pack of cigarettes, then say you smoke 20 a day.

Not wishing to interfere or prolong this discussion but I read the original quote from JML as,

basing it on my own historical smoking habit of 20+ a day

to mean he used to smoke 20+ a day and if he still did it would cost him £50 a week.

That math still don't add up for me..nor anything the op said, but I did say, leave it..lets make this a happy forum.

Sponsored Links
Back