Burying gas pipe in wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on a job that I am doing at the moment. By trade I am a bathroom fitter, painter decorator/ handyman. In the house I am fitting a bathroom in at the moment the owner has asked me to look at a couple of other jobs for him. There is a 10mm gas feed running from ceiling to floor (hidden in conduit) to the side of the chimney breast to feed a gas fire. This looks unsightly as it isn't even tight against the chimney breast but away from it by approx 100mm on the back wall. The owner wants this pipe work to be concealed for aesthetic reasons & asked if I would do it for him. As the job will not involve any cutting I wanted to know was firstly, am I as a not corgi registered person legally allowed move the gas pipe albeit only a small distance and secondly is it permissible to bury the gas pipe at all?

Regards,

T :D

Sponsored Links
Pipe can be buried but needs protecting from affects of plaster etc so wrap it with duct tape,
10MM is soft copper so can be easily pushed back just dont be stupid with it.
Some on here will tell you to get some one out but you will be able to see how much play is on the pipe so use your judgement

To be completely correct the pipe should be wrapped with petroleum impregnated tape which is specifically made for the purpose. ( It used to be called Denso tape but now it has to say for gas use! ).

I only say this because it helps trainees with their gas assessments.

Tony

WRONG . read the book agile. Where does it say denso only

Sponsored Links
I just wonder what ACS centre exam was done in as so much of the basics missing

WRONG . read the book agile. Where does it say denso only

I said that it "used to be Denso tape" that we used.

Now it has to be "petroleum impregnated tape" that is marked as specifically for the purpose.

I have nowhere said that it has to be any particular brand name.

Can you explain why you think I did?

Pipe can be buried but needs protecting from affects of plaster etc so wrap it with duct tape,

I hope you agree that what you said does not meet the regulations! Most of the cheap Chinese "duct" tape is actually marked as "duck" tape.

Tony

you said to be COMPLETLY RIGHT it has to be "petroleum impregnated tape.
WHERE does it say that, ignoring any trade names.

AND why did does what i said not meet the regs

Thanks for the replies up to now, I was planning to tape it and shield it, I have not used Denso tape before, but obviously have heard of it, my questoion with denso, is it as sticky as hell to use, making it much less user friendly than duct / duck tape?

:D

I'm pretty sure the British Standard says you can use PVC tape. >50% overlap so you get a double thickness. That would be OK for plaster.

I was thinking the point where you need to be COrgi regd only comes where you cut the pipe, but it's pretty easy to strain a joint if you're pulling the pipe about, then you'd have to test for leaks, which opens can o' worms.

No one's mentioned it, so make sure there are no compression fittings on the pipe you're hiding. If there are you'll have to leave access to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back