Butler Sink Support Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I bought a 800mm wide butler sink and have 'modified' and Ikea unit to support it. I basically reduced the height and cut out a couple of bits out of the sides and inserted a 40mmx120mm timber to support the back and on the front used some spare colored plinth i had lying around. These are 15mm thick (each and there are two of them).

I have noticed that these are starting to bow a bit and want to replace them with some timber.

The question is, i cannot easily remove the sink as it is so heavy and the space that is cut is around 30mm. If i was to take 10mm off of the 40mm timber, would this suffice? The sink is really heavy (2 man lift).

I was planning on taking the weight of the sink and then getting someone to quickly take out the plinth material and replace with the new timber (if it holds OK). The 40mm but definately holds.

Any idea if this will hold?

Sponsored Links
I probably could tbh, i do have one, but the bit at the front is pretty much where i would want to support it from.

Sponsored Links
The weight of Belfast sinks means that they will even bow a 2 x 2 CLS frame. In the past I've generally made up a 3 x 2 (70 x 44) redwood frame to carry them and placed that inside the cabinet before installing it. Unless you can take the weight of the sink on something like a car jack, like RandomGrinch says, I can't see how you'll be able to strengthen or replace that front rail. Any chance of a photo or a sketch?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back