Butterfly Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally got a hatch in the ceiling and found being a butterfly roof I can have limited storage space about 7 m long by about 1.5 high reducing to zero over 2m.

Not large or comfortable but there is space for a lot of boxes of old books, papers. picture frames, tools etc. stacked along one side

I need to cover the joists which are 40cm apart but want to spend as little as possible. Just enough to make it safe to crawl about and store stuff on.

I was thinking of 15 or 18mm ply or cheap pine boards I really dont like the tongue and groove blockboard stuff as they cannot be cut without crumbling. Without transport I will also have to pay for delivery and cutting the ply.

Any idea what is cheapest and safest ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
15mm ply will have a bit of spring in it, so I'd go for 18. But whatever you use, remember that you have to maneuver it into the loft; and loft boards fit through easily, and won't crumble if you cut them with a fine saw or jigsaw blade. You can glue them together as you go, and as there won't be any great weight up there, as you're not standing up, you can put a joint in between joists without too much concern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back