Flooring for Butterfly Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not much space up there. About 1.50m tops reducing, and about 4 metres long for me to store boxes. The joists are 40cm apart.

I am only going to store boxes of books and other stuff that I can carry up there on a ladder so nothing too heavy. Probably just a single line of boxes about 50cm high with dust sheets and other light stuff on top

I am trying to use up the sheets of ply I bought for another job. I have lined the floor over the joists with 4 ply and crawled around up there screwing them into the joists and it seems solid enough. I am 69 k (11 stone).

I also have some three ply which I am thinking of laying on top. Do I really need it and as they are only 20cm across and ply goes in alternate direction per sheet can I lay them on top in the same direction as the first sheets ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're crawling round up there without any problems, I wouldn't bother adding any more, but what's the thickness of the 4ply, as that may have a bearing.

Got a bit nervous and put down an extra layer Maybe not needed but made me feel better . It was 4mm to start with which was a little bouncy between joists but is now solid. But because of the lack of height I am not up there for long and doubt if I will be up there very often either.

So you've now got 4+3, and that makes 7mm thick. I'd add another layer or two if it were me; loft boards are 15mm thick. Or at least when you sell the place, warn the 15st guy that the loft won't take his weight.

Sponsored Links
I doubt if he could get in there if he was 15st ! Its less than a metre and a half high at the wall and slopes down to the floor within 2 metres. I am only 1.67m tall and I am banging my head when I am crawling along the wall. Although I take your point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back