Butting brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend an interior brick wall with blocks. How do I key in to the existing bricks. Also when I get to ceiling height do I go above the plasterboard or if there is a floor joist do I use wedges between last brick and joist.

Sponsored Links
Either fish-tail ties, a wall starter, or block bond it (tooth out).

If you cut the ceiling board, then you may have problems supporting the cut edge - no end joist or noggins. So it may be better to just butt up to the ceiling

Sponsored Links
diyisfree said:
nothing wrong with wall starters, I used them for my extension...

apart from the cost

use the fishtail ties very cheap and do the same job

Cant remember now but i didnt think they were that expensive :confused:

I used stainless ones and im sure they weren't more than £10.00 for 2x 1 meter legnths?

If you think that is expensive i would hate to see the things you do to save a few quid.

fish tails are about 20p each so work out at 60p per metre
just to do the same thing
and i never said they were expensive just mentioned the cost compared with an alternative fixing method

fall out over a tenner ??? never
just send me all the surplus tenners you have :LOL:

quicker to use than fish tails though so cheaper in labour! A lot of BCOs prefer them as they allow for differential movement as opposed to tooth and bonding

You could always hammer a few 6" nails in between the motor of the original build and use those instead. Now that way would be cheap :D

One thing i found a pain when i was building my extension was that i used metric Solar block for inner skin and old Imperial size bricks for outer to match original house. The cavity ties were a pain because of the varying height difference between inner out outer courses.

diyisfree said:
The cavity ties were a pain because of the varying height difference between inner out outer courses.

yeah know where you're coming from. one every fifth course, next sixth course, next fifth course, then sixth etc, etc. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back