Butt'ing tiles, no spacers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boss has chose some wood effect tiles for the new kitchen. The sample in the showroom and the online photos suggest they've butt joined the tiles without using spaces/grout lines. I like the look of this but i was told a long time ago this is a 'no no' as the adhesive wont set.

Any tiling pros confirm if i can do this or not?

tiles.jpg

Sponsored Links
preecy, good evening.

OK I am not a tiling professional, but?

I would be concerned about the long term water penetration into the joints, especially within the spray area of the shower? over time, there is a "Possibility" that shower water could get behind the tiles and either the tile falls of or rot somewhere begins.

I work as an Insurance Claims Surveyor, as such I regularly see wood and plaster damage occasioned by water leaking out of shower enclosures caused by missing grout between the tiles? the missing grout scenario and a claim can be interesting to resolve from an insurance perspective?

Next concern is that there is no room for expansion and contraction of the tiles, especially of note in a long and high run of tiling.

Just some considerations?

Ken

the wood effect tiles in your pic are not in direct contact with any wet spray but still not a great idea.

all wood tile for my two pee need a min of 3mm grout/spacers.
use same colour grout and trim as the tile.
contact mfr's for advice if got doubts.

Pity though, as the whole point of these wood-effect tiles is to look like wood. You don't usually see grout between real wood planks.

Sponsored Links
The boss has chose some wood effect tiles for the new kitchen. The sample in the showroom and the online photos suggest they've butt joined the tiles without using spaces/grout lines. I like the look of this but i was told a long time ago this is a 'no no' as the adhesive wont set.

Any tiling pros confirm if i can do this or not?

View attachment 147522
I dont know lol but it looks authentic the adhesive will set faster with airflow ?
Could always fill the no gap with a dark grout later ?
Raking & sponging it out so to get minimal with a seal .
Edges be more prone to chipping without grout and bits of water could get under in , but it looks nice .And you might see unfinished tile edges .
These type of tiles are bannana shaped so remember to offset at least 1/3rd or less than hmmm
Also if I remember correctly the batch we laid was 1200 mm long , I also remember what is effectively the cross cut at the end of the tiles , some were not square.
In my experience to get the effect you want and level of accuracy would of been quite a few rejected tiles .
Take a set square when your shopping for tiles
Also note when you zoom in on the but joint it is low to the other tiles .
Lol realised they are little ones on a bathroom wall D

Last edited:
I have used floor tiles on a laminate work top , no grout lines , ran fine bead of colour matched silicon in between when installing and wiped off excess straight away.
Never had a problem with movement and was fine for years before I refurbished .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back