Buy a boiler online and get gas engineer to install?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
ok, noted I take it back if you felt as inappropriate language. Certainly not meant to be derogatory.

I have huge respect for traders; not an easy job dealing with a broad range of different customers with different knowledge, demands and pockets, competition, narrow margins and now also income squeeze from inflation..

My reflection was specifically about heating controls and PDHW vs efficiency following the quotes I received recently in my area.

From my observed sample of quotes one may conclude that it's best I keep the installation simple and either do the controls myself or find a trader specialized in controls after the gas install is completed.

If I don't supply it I don't fit it, I tend to steer clear of bottom feed cheapskate customer's, and stick to what business is about, making a profit, not save cheapskates money.
Fair enough, respect that. I'd happily contract out all my essential renovation work lump sum - but cannot afford it - so spending my weekends researching DIY methods and managing so far to save a fair amount. On the other hand, I am sure traders themselves must be clever with their procurement to keep costs down and make the business profitable.

It is not always obvious to newcomers how this forum works. Some seem to think that it is just DIY enthusiasts giving advice to each other, they don't realise that there are a lot of trades people on here giving their expert knowledge for free.
exactly; I was wondering why traders would participate in a DIY forum that by definition attracts non-professionals? But I like the forum even more now..

exactly; I was wondering why traders would participate in a DIY forum that by definition attracts non-professionals? But I like the forum even more now..
I would say that in this thread alone you have had replies from 6 or 7 trades people so far. Some are likely to be currently working in the trade others may have retired. Many will use the forum to ask for advice in areas outside their particular expertise whilst giving free advice in the areas that they are knowledgeable about.

I would say that in this thread alone you have had replies from 6 or 7 trades people so far. Some are likely to be currently working in the trade others may have retired. Many will use the forum to ask for advice in areas outside their particular expertise whilst giving free advice in the areas that they are knowledgeable about.
thanks pc.. clear now..

I would buy the bolier, flue, filter, condensate pipes, Sentinel, and controls from screwfix and get them installed by a trader.
I received a quote from trader that made me think "Boiler swap and magnetic filter installation cost £xxxx (labour) price includes free chemical flush, adding inhibitor, gas certificate and warranty registration with the manufacturer". Does it make sense?
If your boiler is faulty out of the box, it’s your problem not the installers !

I changed my boiler last year (like for like more or less) and could've bought one with installing kit ready to be fitted by a GS.
Turned out supply and fit was cheaper and the GS guy who installed it (BOXT) knew those boilers and controls inside out.
He showed me every step and explained everything in details.
He even let me strip bits and pieces off the old boiler and gave me the MagnaFilter that was there to sell on Ebay.
10 years warranty on a Bosch installed by accredited installers, so it was a no brainer for me.

Just to clear up any confusion

Are you tellign us that the boiler installed and provided by Boxt was cheaper then putting the pieces together yourself?

I have looked at Boxt in detail and compared it to what I could buy with flue and boiler from a builder merchant - I found it much cheaper to pay a gas engineer 500 for the day and get it installed myself

Can you tell us what you priced up and what boxt came in at vs the put it yourself price - I would be suprised if Boxt was cheaper

Just to clear up any confusion

Are you tellign us that the boiler installed and provided by Boxt was cheaper then putting the pieces together yourself?

I have looked at Boxt in detail and compared it to what I could buy with flue and boiler from a builder merchant - I found it much cheaper to pay a gas engineer 500 for the day and get it installed myself

Can you tell us what you priced up and what boxt came in at vs the put it yourself price - I would be suprised if Boxt was cheaper
Correct, boxt was cheaper.
Local GS wanted £3k supplied and fitted.
Worked out the same if I'd bought the boiler and kit myself.
They don't install a boiler for £500, trust me.
Boxt was cheaper, £2.5k.

Its a days work to install a boiler - And that is being generous. So 500 is the correct going rate - I have had a few main eco compact changed before and paid 500 (by bank) to a registered gas engineer who registered it

Can you share the boiler name model you went for and what you proced it at and what you expect fitting to cost so you can back up your claim on Boxt? PersonallY I tried them and was not impressed

Its a days work to install a boiler - And that is being generous. So 500 is the correct going rate - I have had a few main eco compact changed before and paid 500 (by bank) to a registered gas engineer who registered it

Can you share the boiler name model you went for and what you proced it at and what you expect fitting to cost so you can back up your claim on Boxt? PersonallY I tried them and was not impressed
Here's another "prove it!" man.
Why do you think everyone is a liar???
I'll dig out the receipt this time and then you can take your 3 neurons back indoors.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230725-101158_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725-101158_Outlook.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20230725-101212_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725-101212_Outlook.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 66
Its a days work to install a boiler
What about replacing an existing boiler in the same position? Mine took less than 4 hours. 2 blokes, used the same flue hole in wall, connect up a flow, a return and a gas pipe and a few electrical connections. Paid £600. Okay, they probably didn’t go on to fit another boiler in the same day so for them it was one days work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back