Buy a boiler online and get gas engineer to install?

Eventually I have been quoted £500/day inc vat install with warranty. Still higher than plumbers daily rate of £290.. wondering why this difference..

Sponsored Links
Where do you get a ( proper qualified) plumber for £290?
Take it chap is vat registered then?

Sponsored Links
Eventually I have been quoted £500/day inc vat install with warranty. Still higher than plumbers daily rate of £290.. wondering why this difference..
Anyone, including you and I can call themself a plumber with no qualifications whatsoever. Nobody can call themselves a gas registered installer without having the necessary qualifications and be registered on the gas safe register.

Anyone, including you and I can call themself a plumber with no qualifications whatsoever. Nobody can call themselves a gas registered installer without having the necessary qualifications and be registered on the gas safe register.
I know what you’re saying , and in an ideal world, this would be completely true, however, some do call themselves a gas safe engineer without having necessary qualifications or being gas safe registered - they’re called illegals and or cowboys/cowgirls.

When the heating engineer that I currently use started his own business he wasn't VAT registered because his turnover didn't meet the threshold for registering, that automatically made him 20% cheaper than local VAT registered businesses. As he has built up his business he has reached the threshold and become VAT registered and he now has to charge me 20% more than before. Because he does a good job I continue to use him, it isn't all about the money. For me it is good to have someone I trust who offers a good service, good advice, turns up reliably when he says he will and does a neat, tidy job.

When the heating engineer that I currently use started his own business he wasn't VAT registered because his turnover didn't meet the threshold for registering, that automatically made him 20% cheaper than local VAT registered businesses. As he has built up his business he has reached the threshold and become VAT registered and he now has to charge me 20% more than before. Because he does a good job I continue to use him, it isn't all about the money. For me it is good to have someone I trust who offers a good service, good advice, turns up reliably when he says he will and does a neat, tidy job.
Just to add, on vat registration its only his labour that gets the additional 20% added, you would have already been paying the vat on the materials.

.. so are all GS registered also VAT registered? ..
No, Gas safe reg is totally separate. It proves the person/company is capable of working on a certain category of gas supply/appliance.

VAT is worked on company turnover.

There are no rules that specifically bind the two.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just to add, on vat registration its only his labour that gets the additional 20% added, you would have already been paying the vat on the materials.
As I understand it, he becomes the supplier and has to add VAT on anything supplied materials and labour. Turtles alll the way down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back