Buyer beware

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently purchased a modern classic from an AA accredited used car dealer I will draw everyone's attention to a problem I encountered in the hope of sharpening others awareness. The car in question is 20 years old & in excellent condition, during my first viewing/test drive I was pleased to note that all the tyres had a good tread & was further reassured by a new MOT without advisories. I bought the car a few days later & having got home (& put my reading glasses on) I thought to study the DOT codes & found to my horror that the tyres were between 13 & 19 years old. Raising my concerns with the dealer resulted in the statement that the recently passed MOT meant the car was both fully legal & serviceable, sadly in that respect he is correct as, despite the ever tightening test requirements, there is still no limit to the AGE of a tyre although various independent tests have proved conclusively that age hardened rubber can result in serious handling/braking issues. So next time you buy a car check the DOT dates as well as the tread depth. nb: the perfectly legal 1.6mm tread depth (over 75% of the tread width) gives you b....r all grip in the wet, I change my tyres at 3mm.

Sponsored Links
Check the description on the advert. Did the seller make any comment/claim as to the condition of the tyres? e.g. Tyres good condition with plenty of wear left.

TBH with a 20 year old car, you'd probably have paid the price appropriate, so you have little recourse unless the description claimed otherwise.

Got it in one MB, claimed 'all tyres replaced only a couple of years ago & done little mileage since' etc. When I pulled him up on the dates he replied that he'd never said the tyres were new … I believe the polite term for his phrasing is disingenuous :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
this is only likely to happen on old vehicles that have done strangely little mileage. I had to change the tyres on one of mine, 2003 but only done 22k miles, and I have one off the road where I would only use the tyres to push it around the garage. I have a set of wheels with winter tyres that are never going to wear out.

however I did get an MoT advisory that the tyres were ageing. The vehicle is kept outdoors in sunlight which may contribute.

I have an idea the "shelf life" of new tyres in storage is only about 5 years. The rubber compound releases a chemical to neutralise ozone attack, but only when the tyres are rolling in use.

I bought the car a few days later & having got home (& put my reading glasses on) I thought to study the DOT codes & found to my horror that the tyres were between 13 & 19 years old.

One of the BMW models was produced with a weird tyre size, which made them very tricky and expensive to get hold of. The solution was to fit an alternative wheel with a more common tyre. Is this perhaps that BMW model?

Condition of tyres is more important than chronological age, the age is just a guide. Much depends on how they were stored and how much UV they have been subjected to. Look for signs of cracking of the side-walls and between the tread.

One of the BMW models was produced with a weird tyre size, which made them very tricky and expensive to get hold of. The solution was to fit an alternative wheel with a more common tyre. Is this perhaps that BMW model? QUOTE]

No it isn't, the model you are referring to was the E34 from the late 'eighties to '96 (there may have been others, I'm not a BM expert) that had metric tyres from the factory & needed a change of rims in order to fit standard spec. rubber.

If you paid a premium over the book value - you could argue the car didn't meet the description. If you got a good deal taking account of the general condition then forget it. Given the age - I can't see a small claim succeeding. They might be able to get you new tyres trade price? as a gesture of goodwill. Personally I wouldn't bother. 4 new hoops would probably cost 50-70% of the cars value.

So far we've replaced all four tyres & the battery. In the case of the latter a receipt showed it to be only two years old but I guess long term lack of the cars' use & umpteen jump starts at the dealers' premises, every time they needed to move the car, has done for it.

One of the BMW models was produced with a weird tyre size, which made them very tricky and expensive to get hold of. The solution was to fit an alternative wheel with a more common tyre. Is this perhaps that BMW model?

You probably mean TRX tyres/wheels. Metric sizes instead of imperial basically.

Several BMW's (and a few other manufacturers too) in the 70's/80's wore them from the factory but the demand was never really there and the prices of new tyres rocketed until it was pointless having them. I could be wrong but i think only Michelin do them now, probably only for concourse show type paedos.

Anyway an E39 5 series like Norseman's won't have them on, not from the factory anyway.

Sponsored Links
Back