Buying a house & the building survey report is quite sca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the early stages of trying to buy a new house, as it's an old (approx 1870's) house we went for the full building survey and we received the report yesterday and to be honest it seems quite scary to me. I'm not sure if this is just the surveyor trying to cover their back or whether the issues are as (potentially) serious as the report says.

Basically the report says that they are unwilling to provide a valuation until the following reports have been done along with any recommended remedial works:

* Timber & Damp report from a PCA or WPA registered contractor
* Electrical report from a NICEIC qualified electrician
* Structural report from a F.I.Struct.E or M.I.Struct.E qualified structural engineer

We did think that the electrics would be highlighted in the survey but the others were a bit un-expected.

The report does not that there was previous structural movement noted and cannot be determined if it is ongoing or historic. It was also noted that around the year 2000 a structural survey commissioned by the insurers due to development of cracks in the late 90's concluded there was no movement going on (doesn't specify if work was undertaken to rectify the movements).

The problem we're having is trying to figure out whether the report is correct or whether they're just being cautious as that's their job. The extra reports will probably cost us the same amount again that we've already paid for the building survey and if there are remedial works required in order to get a mortgage we can't really do anything about that can we?

We're not quite sure what to do next, trying to get hold of the estate agents to update them but even having trouble with that.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert in surveys but it does sound like you will have to comply with their requests. Presumably your loan to value ratio is quite marginal which is the reason they are hedging their bets and not willing to give a valuation until the additional surveys have been carried out? If you were putting more equity into the purchase they might have been less stringent. Basically they want to make sure they (the mortgagor) will get their money back if you default at any time.

:

* Timber & Damp report from a PCA or WPA registered contractor
* Electrical report from a NICEIC qualified electrician
* Structural report from a F.I.Struct.E or M.I.Struct.E qualified structural engineer

What has the surveyor actually done for his fee?

What has the surveyor actually done for his fee?

We were wondering that, and wondered if it was normal for the full building survey to request this many extra reports. As surely the homebuyers report would have principally (although being much shorter in words) said exactly the same thing no?

Sponsored Links
All sounds pretty standard, I went through the same thing as our place was underpinned many years ago due to movement.

However, I had an independent structural survey done and a basic one from the mortgage company. The mortgage survey was just a valuation and said all was fine, the structural one threw lots up but I was happy with it. I needed to get certain things rectified from the structural survey for the insurers but not for mortgage purposes.

Try waiting to see if one of the highly-experienced surveyors on this forum come up with ideas. Alternatively, see if 'Woody' has anything to say :LOL:

Shocking, the Chartered Surveyor has completely abdicated responsibility for any technical input into the report. He could have quite easily commented on the structural condition and any potential damp problems in the property but has caveated his report to the hilt. Sounds like he got paid for not doing his job but he's obviously a very poor surveyor.

What does the rest of the report say

i.e. what is the context (if any) within which the additional surveys are recommended?

I'm a bit unclear as to what sort of survey you have had. You say full building survey but then mention valuation, which is not normally part of a full building survey. A full building survey should report on structure and timber/damp but not electrical. (surveyors are not electricians and don't carry the necessary test equiipment) Maybe you've had a homebuyer report, which is not actually a full building survey but is really just a more detailed valuation?

My advice is look at your terms and conditions, which you should have had before the survey. What does it say about what will be included and what excluded? If it really is a full building survey ask them what the qualifications and experience was of the surveyor. A surveyor unable to comment on basic structure and timber/damp should not be carrying out surveys on period properties - or any other property come to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back