Buying a house with no permissions on changes/extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am buying a house in Thurrock. It is 110 years old.

Over the years it has had numerous changes. None appear to have had planning permission? All changes are 'old'.

Firstly the downstairs bathroom was moved to the 3rd bedroom on the 1st floor.
The kitchen was moved from the back room (now a dining room) into where the bathroom was.
There is a lean to conservatory in the garden.
Loft extension to create a bedroom.
Minor frontal window extension.

All works appear to have been done a long time ago and all appears to be of good standard.

What can/should I do if there is no planning permission in place?

My solicitor speaks of a 4 year rule? Additional insurances?

Any advice appreciated.

Robert

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Absolutely, if the works are historic and outside the timeframe for enforcement than you're good to go on that front.
The only thing I would say to bear in mind is that in the future if you come to sell, you may come up against a buyer and his solicitor who are put off and not use their common sense in the same way. There is an alternative to you paying for the un-necessary indemnity cover and that is to get the vendor to pay for it. The one thing indemnity policies can do is draw a line under these issues, so they don't become an inconvenience in future sales.
All of this questioning historic works, boiler installs etc is become more and more common and just clogging up the conveyancing process.

My solicitor speaks of a 4 year rule? Additional insurances?

Any advice appreciated.

Robert

Don't be conned into buying indemnity insurance; totally unnecessary and solicitor will get a cut.
I agree although if you are taking out a mortgage you may not have a choice as your lender may insist...however, from my experience it is normally the seller that has to take out the indemnity...

The only thing I would say to bear in mind is that in the future if you come to sell, you may come up against a buyer and his solicitor who are put off and not use their common sense in the same way.

Just take photos of everything when you buy the property with a date stamp on it (or the days newspaper or something that proves the date) as long as you have the property more than 4 years before you sell (or at any point) you can apply for a certificate of lawfulness yourself that will cost you a few hundred pounds and sort any outstanding issues with the house(planning wise) if you are worried about it, or want to sort it out at your own leisure.

Echo everyone else's sentiments R.E. Indemnities too, fairly worthless

At that point, I would suggest that the Certificate of Lawfulness is pointless too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back