Buying a Lathe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a youngster of 62 looking for a new toy, I have decided I want to build a Model Steam Engine of the type made by Stuart in Guernsey. I am now looking for a suitable Lathe. After only a week or two looking I realise this is a complete minefield for the unwary. Any advice on what to look out for, what to avoid would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can you give an idea of what Stuart engine you plan to make as the small 10 series engines can be done on a very small lathe but if you are going for one of the larger ones then something bigger is required.

If you intend on doing mostly stationary engines then I would suggest something that can swing 9" dia either in the gap or over the bed as this is the largest size a Myford can swing and most models are designed to be made on this size lathe, the flywheel being the largest diameter to turn.

The imported lathes from the likes of Warco, Chester, Engineers Toolroom will all do the job but can be a little rough around the edges. Myford, Wabeco etc are a far better quality but at a price.

Also see this post

Jason

Thank you for that Jason. Well the intention is to start with one of the smaller engines & proceed up the range to more complex engines ASAP. I am mostly interested in marine engines. The Twin Launch Engine & its sister the Compound appeal to me & who would not love a Triple. I do realise I am a long way from anything as complex as that, & a couple of the more basic engines in the range will be my learning curve. The main thing is the machine I want must be capable of doing the larger engines because I don't want myself having to upgrade after a short while. On the other hand if only one or two jobs require a larger Lathe, I could always farm those out. I do expect to have to get a small Mill as well.

Unless you are going for a large marine plant like the 6A then a myford sized lathe will be fine as the marine engines have much smaller flywheels. So something with a 7-9" swing and 18-24" between centers will be ample, a goos low speed and fine carrage feed are what you need. I would suggest a 10V as a good starter and get the stuart book to go with it

A mill is not a must as most parts of that size can be machined on the lathe either bolted to the cross slide of held on a vertical slide (make sure the cross slide has T slots). Having said that a small mill makes things a lot easier and quicker, I did a couple of stationary engines and a 1" traction engine before I got my mill.

Reeves also do quite a few marine engines and Brunell have a few, both these are just castings, not metal ar fixings like the stuart sets. Then again you could always make it from scratch (have a look at the construction pages)

JAson

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that again Jason, all more info to guide me. Up till now on account of bad reports I had disregarded Chinese imports but having checked out other reviews from people who use them, you do seem to get a fair bit for your money & they rarely turn up second hand so maybe people who have them, like them. I suppose there is equal risk in buying a used GB lathe that may have been well used or abused. I must admit being drawn to Warco & the like. I think when I have a firm idea of the spec I require, a visit to the Model Engineer Exhibition in the new year will be my next move.

IIRC it is possible to fit a raising block under the headstock of a Myford ML7 for jobs that don't swing in the gap. It probably doesn't do much for the rigidity or accuracy, but it can get the odd oversize job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back