Buying at auction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of buying a used car from a motor auctions...been online and seen the one I want at BCA but after the description of it it says margin..what is this,some have vat qualifying after them but what is margin?? also are there any other pitfalls ,costs involved..the car I am intersted in is from a maor lease company mileage a bit high but it says fsh so appears all ok

Sponsored Links
Car auctions are not as good as they used to be years ago for getting a bargain, nowadays alot more people go to auctions and the market prices have risen dramatically because of this. Last year I wanted to get a 55 plated low milage Audi A4 Cabrio and the day I went there was a selection of 5 going through. Lowest was £14500..... I ended getting one with realy low milage from of autotrader for £11000. Had to drive 120 miles to get it but that is nothing campared with the £3500 extra I would have spent at auction. It is really worth shopping around, something will usually turn up. Also if you buy privately you can at least have a good test drive before you commit to buy.

Sponsored Links
Car auctions are not as good as they used to be years ago for getting a bargain, nowadays alot more people go to auctions and the market prices have risen dramatically because of this. Last year I wanted to get a 55 plated low milage Audi A4 Cabrio and the day I went there was a selection of 5 going through. Lowest was £14500..... I ended getting one with realy low milage from of autotrader for £11000. Had to drive 120 miles to get it but that is nothing campared with the £3500 extra I would have spent at auction. It is really worth shopping around, something will usually turn up. Also if you buy privately you can at least have a good test drive before you commit to buy.
Go a few times, you will spot the dealers, bid against them, THey need it cheap so they can resell, although as said no as good as it was 20 years ago.

Back