Buying house, Homebuyer report recommend floor slab test?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have made an offer to buy a house at £130,000. I commissioned a homebuyer report which confirms the valuation at £130,000 with one condition, it identifies the house being built in 1955 in an area known to use mining shale as the hardcore foundation, which may be susceptible to sulphate attack (a process where the concrete expand and cause structural problem when in prolonged contact with moisture). The floor has been renovated and there is no sign of cracks or budged floor, so the surveyor was unable to visually access the risk.

I looked online and found a company which performs so called floor slab test. They would drill a hole and take samples of the foundation for a lab test. However, this is not yet my house and to do so I will certainly require seller's authorisation. Is it worth doing such a test? What if the seller refuses? If a fault is found how much is it roughly to repair/damp proof/replace the concrete slab?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Another backside-covering report by a surveyor being paid to advise that more surveys need to be done.

a competent, experienced local builder will know (assuming it is not a one-off house) if houses down that street have a problem. Chances are there are lots of the same design, built at about the same time, with the same techniques and materials, and by the same people.

You will not get a sinkhole.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I think I will try to ask the neighbours first.

It is a council built property and I wonder if council would have any information.

How normal is it to ask sellers to foot such bill? I am under the impression that it is normally the buyer who pays for surveys etc.

except if nobody will buy their house without seeing survey results.

have they had previous buyers that "fell through?" how long has it been on the market?

Houses that have suffered from sulphate attack often show signs on the outer walls below dpc. Look closely at the walls and see if there is any cracking or bulging or if any bricks have been pushed out of line. It might also be worth googling the area or surrounding road names and sulphate. (or sulphate)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back