Solid floor sulphate test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In the process of buying a house and following the valuation it was bought up that a sulphate test needs to be done before the bank agree to lend

If it comes out that the floor needs to be re-done, what are the likely costs for an average 3bed semi?

Also would I need to dig down a fair bit to remove old hardcore, then lay dpm sheet, hardcore, insulation and concrete?

Sponsored Links
Whilst there is such a thing as an average 3 bed semi, there is no such thing as an average ground floor dig out and replacement price.

Things to consider are:

Is the property completely empty?

If not, do any items need re-instating i.e. kitchens, utility rooms, toilets etc?

How deep down does the hard core layer go?

What is access to the rooms like?

Is the house built on a level site or is the terrain hilly?

Are there any services running below the slab to consider?

You have a whole can-o-worms there me boy.

You will need to remove all contaminated infill and replace with full spec insulated floors and it will be subject to B.C. approval.

The house will be empty upon completion, apart from having a kitchen. As no tests have been done yet, do not know how far down hardcore layer goes. Built on a level site, and has good access. Only potential service would be water mains.

I would of thought digging out say 600mm would have been ok, as that would allow for hardcore, insulation and slab

Whilst there is such a thing as an average 3 bed semi, there is no such thing as an average ground floor dig out and replacement price.

Things to consider are:

Is the property completely empty?

If not, do any items need re-instating i.e. kitchens, utility rooms, toilets etc?

How deep down does the hard core layer go?

What is access to the rooms like?

Is the house built on a level site or is the terrain hilly?

Are there any services running below the slab to consider?

You have a whole can-o-worms there me boy.

Sponsored Links
Lab results have come back, and there are high levels of sulphate present, and a full replacement has been recommended.

Just waiting on costs, which I have been told should be between £6-8k, but dont think this will include removal & refit of kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back