DPM position

hog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question ...

building a floor sub-base ...

can I lay a DPM over the new concrete - rather than between it and the hardcore?

would I still need a barrier between the hardcore and concrete (i.e. because of sulphates)?

... reason is, the concrete floor will be built before the roof is done and I only want to tank it once it won't get rained on

thanking you ...

Sponsored Links
The DPM goes below the concrete slab. Dont make work for yourself. Rain water is irrelevant to a concrete slab.

thanks ree. it wasn't the rainwater affecting the concrete I was worried about. if I seal the area with DPM before the roof is up (I am a slow worker) won't the floor area just fill with rainwater that can't drain anywhere?

also that I didn't mention, there is a substantial amount of existing concrete that I want to re-use and match the level to. so I don't see any option but to lay the DPM over this section (and therefore also over the new concrete). but does it really matter if I don't DPM between the new hardcore and new concrete? the new concrete will be 100mm, does this need to be protected underneath in any way?

cheers

mulling this over a bit , there should be very little space for much rainwater to wriggle down onto the dpm if it has a nice thick concrete slab on top and compacted hardcore underneath. so I'll start afresh and lay the hardcore + DPM + concrete now and before the roof is up. this gives me a nice flat work surface and if it ends up as a swimming pool I can always practise my front crawl

Sponsored Links
Stop fretting about the conc' getting wet or puddling, it happens all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back