Buying house with non approved extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am seeking advice - half way through a house purchase, searches have found that a ground floor extension does not look like it has either planning or building control approval. The property was built in the 1940's and the single storey extension built in 1972.
I have two questions -

1. The local council apparently don't keep any building records longer than 15 years, so am unsure what their view would be for retrospective approval

2. It is likely that I would put a further extension on the property (not to the same area as the existing one), would the volumes rule apply? (the existing extension was right across the back of the property so quite large, and my likely contribution would be to the side). The property is on a large plot so the extension would not be anywhere near any boundary.

Any helpful advice appreciated
Ed

Sponsored Links
Nothing can be done by the council now. So don't worry about that. You do not need to get it approved now

If the extension is sound, built properly and in acceptable condition, then it is not an issue.

But for planning purposes, the extension will be counted as an extension for any future planning applications, and will have used up any permitted development allowance.

Thanks for the quick response!
The extension was built by the original house builder and looks pretty solid -no cracks at all in walls/ceilings where lintels have been used.

Am I correct in assuming that since the existing extension is approx 70 cu m
that the only way I could add a further extension would be through submitting full plans (as opposed to permitted dev)?
Houses either side of the property have been re-developed, in one case from a bungalow to a two storey house approx 1m to either boundary (the rear plots are over 100ft) -so the planning dept seem fairly relaxed about it.
Ed

Yes, an extension does use up any PD allowance, so further extensions require an application if not still within the total PD allowance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response!
The extension was built by the original house builder and looks pretty solid -no cracks at all in walls/ceilings where lintels have been used.

Am I correct in assuming that since the existing extension is approx 70 cu m
that the only way I could add a further extension would be through submitting full plans (as opposed to permitted dev)?
Houses either side of the property have been re-developed, in one case from a bungalow to a two storey house approx 1m to either boundary (the rear plots are over 100ft) -so the planning dept seem fairly relaxed about it.
Ed

You might still be able to build under PD. The old volume restrictions no longer apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back