buying/installing a new sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of changing my old plastic kitchen sink for a new modern stainless steel type. I have a few question's I'd like to ask and if anyone could help me I'd be very thankful.

Is it hard to get a plastic sink out? I had it installed about 15 years ago and I don't know how it is joined to the worktop! I know stainless steel type sinks have claw type clips that hold the sink tight to the worktop but not sure about plastic ones!

Also, about the waste/overflow combined unit - is it just the same as with a basin, bath, using putty/sealant around the underside of the waste/overflow inside the sink to help create the seal?

All the pipework to and from the sink is fine and I can alter that if necessary slightly.

One last point-should I get a sink exactly the same size or bigger? I don't have a jigsaw and don't really want to have to cut the worktop! I will be getting a left hand drainer again hopefully.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't know how it is joined to the worktop!
Neither do we! Anything between araldite and plain gravity.

don't really want to have to cut the worktop!
You will have to unless it's a rectangular hole and you're lucky

i believe most sinks are of standard size ranges and surely a straight swap can be done without any extra cutting?

my point was, how are plastic sinks tightened to the worktop in general? surely they are not just pushed in??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back