Sealing new sink waste on stainless steel sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've had a new kitchen installed and bizarrely the fitters don't do the plumbing so I decided I'd do that part myself. I'm fine with the taps but I have a query about the sink waste...

It is a stainless steel Franke sink plus their special waste system. The instructions concentrate more on assembling the waste pipes and don't mention anything about sealing the waste to the sink itself:

Franke Siphonic sink waste instructions

There is some sort of rubber seal supplied with the plughole waste part but I'm not sure if that goes on the inside of the sink or underneath it.

One Youtube video I watched showed the guy using Plumbers Gold sealant on the inside of the sink under the waste, although that was on a ceramic sink. Another one was stainless steel, although an American, and he used Plumbers Putty.

So, do I need to put any sort of sealant around the waste where it meets the sink? If so, is there another generic name for "Plumbers Gold" if I can't get that - is it just clear sillicone sealant?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Use a good squidge of silicone sealant between the drain rose and the sink and pass the thing through......then its the thick rubber washer (silicone if you like but it shouldn't be necessary) followed by the back nut to tighten everything up.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back