Buying Lumber - Please help

That's the type of floor we'd want but we'd only want the one width, rather than varied.

Can these boards be jointed and used for furniture, doors, etc or are they grooved on the back?

I'd be grateful if you could post a link to the place you get these - plz! :p

Also, what sort of £/m does this work out at?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You can buy them in just one width if you want to.

Yes they can be used for other things, If I want 1" european oak I don't bother buying sawn I just buy the flooring and cut the T&G off. They are not thick enough for the frames on paneled doors but OK for Leged & braced or cabinet size doors like this, this, this and all the oak in this kitchen

Sometimes the back needs a mm or two off as there are the odd areas that were a bit thin to get planed

I get it from Scott Timber should also be able to supply you with some thicker sawn oak as well. Think the price is a couple of quid more now. Can take a while to answer the phone if they are running the big bandmill or out contract sawing.

Jason

Hi Jason

That stuff looks really nice! Its a lot of the stuff i want the oak for so that really cool. Couple more questions (if i may ;) )

1. Rather than cut the T&G bits off and then biscuit joint to make a bigger plank, is it ok to just glue and clamp the T&G bits together to make larger planks e.g. to have a top for a sideboard.

2. How did you finish the oak in the very first pic - thats a look i'd certainly like to get - is it oiled or just satin varnish? Its also less yellow than the 2nd pic.

3. How did you make the cornice on the first pic - is it a 2 x 2 piece with a 45 degree cut on the table saw?

Thanks again! :D

Sponsored Links
The way T&G flooring is machined the tongue is usually a bit shorter than the groove so you see a small gap when viewed from the end. OK shere it won't be seen but not ideal on the edge of a table.

Danish oil in the first pic, the rest were acrylic lacquer

The cornice is a bit of the 22mm board with a 18mm x 18mm 45deg cut which leaves a 4mm edge rather than a sharp edge.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back