Buying neighbours property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our next door neighbour recently died. He lived alone for about 10 years, before which his (adult) daughter lived with him.

His daughter is now taking care of his belongings, as well as the house.

Our house is a semi detached house, not connected to his house. However, our house was extended (2 storey) to the property line, and so was his, with a garage (1 storey).

My parents have this plan to buy that house, demolish the garage and have the deeds changed so the entire property line is moved 3 feet towards his house. Then rebuild a habitable 2 storey extension (these were all small houses originally, but have reasonable gardens. This extension would make it 3 bedrooms, rather than 2) and refurbish it, and sell it on at a profit.

The house is currently in a bit of a state. It still has lead pipes, the garage front doors are falling off, and it probably needs a rewire. The plus points of it are that it has modern uPVC double glazing, and a modern uPVC conservatory. I dont think it was ever decorated inside, and the garden is overgrown, front and back.

Basically, my mum wants side access from the front to the back. :rolleyes:

Is the above feasible? Has anyone on here ever done it? How much is it likely to cost to change the property line? Would we have to consult other neighbours?

We are in a position to save them some money here too, if we were to make them a direct offer rather than using estate agents . . .

I should mention, his house was flooded in 2007, so were 5 others on this street, but it was entirely Yorkshire Water's fault, and they are working on fixing the problem.

Sponsored Links
.................Is the above feasible? Has anyone on here ever done it? How much is it likely to cost to change the property line? Would we have to consult other neighbours?

best consult the local council, that way you will get the right answer

It sounds like you would be wise having a survey done before you put in an offer. :)

Sponsored Links
Back