Buying part of a neighbour's garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Not sure if this is in the right place, but we're looking into buying a patch of our neighbour's garden as both our gardens are split into L shapes that slot into each other. We'd like to even it out and expand our space.

The neighbour likes the idea and has asked us to think up an offer and get back to her. That bit we think we're okay on... but we can't find much info on how much the legal fees would be.

Has anyone done this themselves, and could cast some light on the different types of fees we are likely to encounter? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It is going to entail a similar process to buying a property but you'll be paying for both parties I'd guess so think around £1500 maybe.

I've seen people quote anything from £300 to £1500 (both guesses and experience, paying both sides of fees), but most of the experience is a few years old so I was wondering if anyone had some more recent, exact numbers?

Sponsored Links
I've made quotation requests (have to do it all online, where poss, as I'm in work during solicitors' opening hours), but I was hoping for some advice from those with the t-shirt along the way. Either way the neighbour has changed her mind. Ho hum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back