Buying Tiles at a Chain Store vs a non-Chain Store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having our bathroom modernised and the guy is putting up new wall tiles However, we have to choose these tiles ourselves and we know nothing about buying tiles, which I presume would have to be ceramic.

I know that there are chain stores like B & Q, Topps Tiles and Homebase but also smaller shops.

Is there any difference between going to a chain store or small store re: cost and quality?

Although we are not putting up the tiles, we would need, probably, also an amount of good customer advice and service.

Can you recommend any good stores in the Romford/Ilford area? We do not drive, so are limited to where we could go to buy these products.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In general the large DIY chains will be aiming at the pile em high sell em cheap type market and in general you do get what you pay for. Topps in general sell good quality products but are expensive.

Your local stores should be a happy medium and are well worth a visit. Have a good look about online too as you'll be able to order samples and then have the tiles delivered direct - i sell tiles online so i have a slanted opinion on this, customer service is still available online :)

To find a tile shop, have a look at the trade tile association http://www.tiles.org.uk/directory/findnearest.shtml

Ceramic isn't your only option. Porcelain and natural stone may suit too.

Ebay are also a source , did a bathroom with a job lot which also included cement and all hand tools required.

Sponsored Links
Would rather see what I am getting in a store, than either going to Ebay or online. But thanks for the suggestion, just the same.

i would send you around the tile retails i use or take you round get you to buy a few sample tiles you like[usually a couple of pounds,then you take them back and get full refund]..

take the tiles home and you would put the light on in the room and then lay your tiles on floor and against the wall and then you can choose the one you prefer/like..[the lighting in the shops are totally differant from inside your kitchen/bathroom...

speak to the tilefixer and am sure he can/could get you a very good discount on all your materials...

if just getting them yourself..then a local indepedant would be your best bet...am sure they can arrange delivery for you also..[most are very good to customers]...

the sheds ect for delivery are sometimes..pavement only,so you may have to lift them in yourself...just check when buying ordering for t/c..ect

dont forget to add at least 15% extra on to your acutual m2,and any boxes unopened to take back for full refund,but keep at least half a box for spares and repairs.

Thanks for all your comments. I think we will be looking at small independent shops. I just hate the big chains.

Have you asked your tiller if he gets a discount from a local shop, if he uses Topps he will get a big discount. Just had my floor done, local shop the tiller was well know good reputation as well.

I actually have not done this. I have emailed him on several things, but he never fully answers my questions.

We had agreed that I get the tiles and he would put them up whilst doing all the bother bathroom installation work, etc. Perhaps I will ask him.

Thanks for the suggestion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back