Natural Stone Mosaic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has taken a liking to these tiles

http://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod849/section118/Travertine-Noce-Yellow-and-White-Mosaic.html

But getting a few quotes one store has tried putting her off saying as there natural stone they will need constant maintanence and will let damp thru .

Are there any major problems with having this type of tile in a shower and round the rest of the bathroom .Or was the guy just trying to get a sale at his store by swaying her to something different.

If you tank the walls and then use a proper sealer every 12 months would these tiles be o.k.Are there any other options(ceramic/porc ) in a different sized mosaic tile as we cant seem to find any.

She gets a massive reduction on tiles with working in that type of buisness.

Cheers for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Tank your walls. Cement based adhesive. 2 or 3 coats of sealer / impregnator.Use the recommended maintaianance cleaner ( most sealer manufacturers have one )
Then does no harm re sealing once a year.
No problems

one store has tried putting her off saying as there natural stone they will need constant maintanence and will let damp thru .

name that store, well see how long it is before it goes bust through salesmen putting off customers!!! :eek:

one store has tried putting her off saying as there natural stone they will need constant maintanence and will let damp thru .

name that store, well see how long it is before it goes bust through salesmen putting off customers!!! :eek:

Sorry unable to do that but thanks for the help .

One more question is and this is purely a looks question.

With these tiles we were thinking of having like a splash panel of them round the bath and wash basin and obviously fully tiling the shower.

But we have 2 windows in this room and currently the room is halfway tiled all around including the windows .But if we go this way the window sills would not be tiled.What do peeps think or usually do in this case.As to me i think this approach would leave the window sill looking bare.
All i can think of is egg shelling ( waterproof paint ) the plaster ??.

Any ideas i realise this is purely personal taste.But we must have some proper tilers on here who have a few ideas.

P.s im not doing this job myself its being done by a tiler.

Sponsored Links
when im doing half room most customers want the window sill tiling too, it looks better in the end as it all matches

How about tiling you window sill in travertine or marble, then shaping and polishing it ? Easier than you think

There is a picture on the video link in my website if you care to have a look..

www.yorkshiretilingservices.co.uk[/img]

Otherwise have a look at a couple of photo's I have put in a new album in my albums

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back