Buzzing Dimmer Switch

G

griffbabe

Merry New Year All!!!

I bought a 250 watt dimmer today and found it buzzes unless it is fully on.
My lighting presently consists of 300 watts of downlights and a striplight...let me explain.

Plan is to disconnect the striplight and replace the halogen bulbs with 25watts of LEDs so need a low wattage dimmer for this.
I did remove the starter on the strip light so was a bit suprised it still buzzed. But it really was just an experiment to see what would happen.

I guess I just want know if you think once I replace the bulbs with the LEDs and once striplight is disconnected that it will be ok, if you suspect not could you explain why?

Many Thanks
Griff

Sponsored Links
I once had a dimmer that buzzed.

I bought a new house far enough away so that I could not hear it.

Is there a wasps nest behind the switch which you might have disturbed whilst fitting the dimmer?

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but it is genuine.
I'm not an electrician and I've never attempted to install a set of downlighters with dimmer before.
I just want to know if the dimmer will stop buzzing once I install the LEDs, is it buzzing because the present load on the dimmer is higher than the rating?

Try a brighter switch, instead of dimmer switch, they don't buzz like dimmers do.

Do you really think your 250w dimmer is suitable for a 300w load?
Normal fluoros are not dimmable.
LEDs can require special dimmers.

Do you really think your 250w dimmer is suitable for a 300w load?
Normal fluoros are not dimmable.
LEDs can require special dimmers.

No, I bought the 250watt dimmer to dim 30watts of LEDs but just happened to try it while halogens were installed and wondered if this is what you would expect to happen.

I dont want to dim the flouro, its still in the loop at present, I took out the starter - was this sufficient to remove the florou?

My LEDs say they are dimmable as for if I need a special dimmer how will I know?

@saladfingers - is a 'brighter' switch just a two pole selector ie one bright setting, one less bright? If so not sure its what I'm after.

hide.gif

I think I need to find a forum with some grown ups.

I'm afraid you're right, Griffbabe. You can be sure that a genuine question on here, especially from someone who isn't a sparky, will likely be met with derision. I'm afraid that 'brighterswitch' was a lame joke. If it's any help, I shouldn't use a 250W dimmer with a 300W load.

Fortunately, there are also a few helpful people here.

JBR, you stuffed jumper, I can't believe you called my brightswitch a lame joke.

My forum feelings have been terribly hurt.

Bitterly dissapointed.

why not take some lamps out temporary to reduce to less than 250 watt
Take the tube out the fleurescent for now then it wont affect the dimmer

Are the lamps mains voltage or 12 volt ones via transformers as dimming transformers gets more involved

He or she has already taken the starter out, but the ballast will still be connected in the loop, so ought to be disconnected.

He or she has already taken the starter out, but the ballast will still be connected in the loop, so ought to be disconnected.

What loop
Its a switchstart fitting, the live will go to the choke then will only go to one unused hole of the lampholder with the lamp out
There may be a capacitor across the supply but i think unlikely to bother the dimmer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back