Buzzing MR16 LEDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! I'm in the process of replacing the MR16 50W bulbs in my two bathrooms with LEDs. My first idea was to just buy some MR16 LEDs. Unfortunately, they didn't play well with the existing transformer (IMPACT dimmable electronic transformer 2-60W, see photo) and were buzzing pretty badly. My second idea was to replace everything with GU10 so I don't have to deal with transformers. So I bought some GU10 fittings and replaced everything but 2 bulbs with GU10 LEDs. The problem with the last 2 bulbs is that there is not enough space in the ceiling to fit them in due to a wooden beam that is in the way (see photo). Even in the old installation (not done by me) the MR16 bulb was pressing against the wooden beam. Since GU10s are taller, there's no way I can fit them in, unless I cut out a chunk of the wooden bream.

Apart from the buzzing noise, is there any problem running the MR16 LEDs on a 20-60W dimmable transformer? I know that I should probably just buy an LED transformer but I already wasted enough money on the MR16 LED bulbs. The optimal solution would obviously be to use GU10 instead if it wasn't for the space issue. Any ideas or tips?

Attachments

• transformer.jpg
    transformer.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 240
  • woodenbeam.jpg
    woodenbeam.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 266
Sponsored Links
Is it a structural piece of timber? If it isn’t cut it out of the way!

There’s already some scorch marks on the timber so I can’t say putting another fitting back there is a good idea - yes LEDs run cooler but not cold. And if it’s so close you can’t get a GU10 cap in but you can get a GU5.3 cap in there, it’s going to be closer than any manufacturer recommends you install their products

Yes, that's probably the best solution. I'm just not sure if I'm allowed to cut into the timber as this could be considered not part of the flat maybe? Although I probably just need to file off enough from the side so that the GU10 fitting I have (see photo) will fit. The photo also shows the old GU5.3(?) fitting. You can still see where the cable was pressing against the timber.

Attachments

• IMG_20180126_211420514.jpg
    IMG_20180126_211420514.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back