Buzzing on sealed unit negative terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a problem with my sealed unit. It is a very old style unit with 3 black boxes, one for each service cable wire. The consumer unit and meter however, are modern. The negative sealed unit box is buzzing and clicking a lot, but nothing is tripping. Anyone got any ideas what the problem is?

When its buzzing, lightbulbs flicker in time with the buzzes, and the problem stops if I turn off any reasonable loads on the system such as heater, kettle etc.

It does not seem to be due to any particular ring main or circuit either as it makes no difference to isolate them.

I would guess its likely to be corrosion or earthing problems but I'm really not sure. Most importantly, is it dangerous to be leaving electricity on while I'm out the house?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a bad connection which is more apparent under heavier loads.I would call your local supplier ASAP and tell them you have a possible loose connection in your cut-out.This needs urgent attention.

Ricicle

If you tell your supply company what you have told us they usually try and be on site within 3 hours to sort it out.

In answer to your question abour safety, it is likely that you have a loose connection that is overheating.

It is "most likely" safe but it will get worse the longer you leave it. It is also possible that you will lose all power if the hot Neutral wire burns away. This will actually become more dangerous since the Phase will be live, even though none of your circuits seem to be working.

Act now and you will probably be able to have it fixed before bedtime! the industry takes these faults very seriously.

Turn off as much load as possible to reduce the overheating.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL:

It should be fixed by now, unless the mender has to row over from the mainland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back