Will a fuse box to consumer unit upgrade fix the issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but wanting to grab some opinions from the electricans out there.

I recently started hearing a quiet buzzing sound from our old wylex fuse board (with wired fuses) but very intermittently. It only happens if there are 2 high pull devices running in the circuit (such as the dishwasher and washing machine). If only 1 is running, there's no buzz. It doesn't appear to be a particular appliance as it does it whatever the combination of device, although it is quieter or noisier dependant on the appliances in use. The only appliance that does it when it is on on its own is the microwave- but I get a feeling that is on its last legs anyway, so it's a gonner!

So I did what I thought was best and called an electrican. He came out and after checking over the fusebox and telling me that no one has had a proper look at it in years (we've only been here a couple), he reeled off a list that included all the screws being loose in the box (he tightened them up) and that the bonding and earth was insufficient. He then advised we need a new box (which I knew anyway!), but I'd need to get the provider out to sort the meter tails and earthing on the outside of the house. He said that we shouldn't need a rewire, but the box would solve it. Having noticed the wires as we have been changing light switches and sockets over the a last couple of years, the wiring looks like black and red cable with earth. (Though there's no earth on the light circuit apparently...)

I just wanted some more opinions from anyone else out there that may have experienced or seen this issue previously. Until this time there's not been a problem. No fuses have blown, there's no sign of any issues anywhere else (browning on sockets or little shocks, etc). I know we need a new box so we have some RCD protection, but I was just wondering if anything else could be causing the buzz? He's basically said that the new box would get rid of the buzzing (which is still there), but given that we have a baby on the way, I'm not too keen on suddenly having another bombshell of a bill on my hands in the form of a rewire. It seems like a perfect time to have the safer box put in, but will it fix the issue is what I am wondering. Can the fusebox only buzzing indicate an issue there, or could there be a problem somewhere else?

Cheers folks

Sponsored Links
If the installation is old enough to have no bonding and no earth to the lights, I'd seriously be looking at having the place rewired rather than spending money trying to patch up the existing installation, which is well past it's sell by date.

I bet you don't have many sockets in the house and certainly not where you need them.

It very likely a loose connection or contact. A little investigation and some minor remedial work should resolve the buzzing noise.

With respect to the rest of the installation, always worth getting a second/third opinion.
I would suggest that an electrical installation condition report be carried out, this will give a better picture what is required to bring up to something closer to current requirements. With regards to no earth on lights, I would recommend that any metallic fittings are replaced for class II plastic ones.

With regards to no earth on lights, I would recommend that any metallic fittings are replaced for class II plastic ones.
I obviously agree about the need for plastic accessories, but I think one would probably struggle to find (m)any that were sold/marked as "Class II", wouldn't one?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys. All very much appreciated.

Am I right in thinking that when the new box will be installed that the electrician will have to check the system for loose connections, etc before the box can be installed? I'm guessing they have fancy gadgets to test for where they may be and what have you andnwould find it much quicker than me and an isolated screwdriver! Im looking to get this box swapout done as soon as western power have been out to check the external side of things as the electrian has advised thats the best course of action. At the minute I am just paying mega attention to the whole set up and ensuring nothing else changes. Though I have no idea how long its been like this....

As stated previously an EICR will flag up most issues and remedial work can then be undertaken prior to board change.
A board change does not automatically resolve historical faults.

but I was just wondering if anything else could be causing the buzz? He's basically said that the new box would get rid of the buzzing (which is still there),
Rather shabby that someone has already been and examined the fusebox, yet was unable to say what the buzzing noise was caused by?

Other than loose connections, other usual culprits are older mechanical electricity meters & doorbell transformers.
There really isn't anything else in those old fuseboxes which could create any noise.

Is the Wylex box grey-painted metal?

A photo would be nice.

Hi.

The electrician couldnt find the issue when he had tightened everything up. I wasmt here at the time and my wife cannot hear it because of hearing problems. So we assumed all was sorted.

the box is a brown plastic one. It has some of the fuses in and some retrofit mcbs. I will try to get a picture and post it shortly.

We also do not have any dimmers (I dont like the thought of any kind of restriction on the circuit at any time tbh!)

As mentioned-it only happens on one circuit, when theres more than 1 high load appliance on. I can put every light in the house on, the Tv system, and the dishwasher for example, and not have a problem. If I put the kettle or something on then, there will be a buzz. But only whilst its running. Hen its back to being quiet.

I havent tried switching the mcbs off. Without them on theres no power to the circuit thst buzzes under a high load

As mentioned-it only happens on one circuit, when theres more than 1 high load appliance on. I can put every light in the house on, the Tv system, and the dishwasher for example, and not have a problem. If I put the kettle or something on then, there will be a buzz. But only whilst its running. Hen its back to being quiet.
OK, I'll change my question slightly then. Is this one circuit with which you get the buzzes one of those which is served by a plug-in MCB, rather than a fuse?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back