1930s house fuse box

Replaster whole house and doesn't Part L kick in requiring upgrade of thermal elements?

Sponsored Links
Replaster whole house and doesn't Part L kick in requiring upgrade of thermal elements?

I think you are right. I just googled it and looks like only up to 25% is allowed to be re-plastered. So I'm a bit confused, is it still possible to patch up the chases only and still have a nice finish on walls even if there is a wallpaper on the walls? (It may be a stupid question, but I have no clue about all these things)

Thanks

Replastering isn't necessarily an issue with a rewire.

Often the light switch drops will have been done in conduit, so new cables can be drawn in.

Sockets can go just above the skirting boards, with the cables under the floor boards.

The kitchen will depend on if it it's recently been refurbished, and how well it's been done.

Remember, on a rewire if some of the wiring is new and good, that part won't always need to be replaced.

Surface mounted boxes can be fitted where you don't want to chase them in yet.

Plastering shouldn't be too much of a problem if you are only rewiring like for like.

Well from experience having just gone through a full rewire in Jan/Feb, we got away with just 3 large chases having to be cut into the walls. Most of the lighting drops they just reused the conduit in the walls already.

However our kitchen was completely gutted and had a new kitchen done from brick upwards. So you need to take that into account too. My rewire in a 3 bed semi in Manchester cost £2500 plus plastering was £400.

Its something certainly worth thinking about doing especially if you aren't gonna move again for a number of years or if this maybe your last move.
As once its done it won't need doing again.

Sponsored Links
I've recently bought a 1930s house which looks to be in similar condition to yours...at least with regards to wiring....

There was both PVC and VIR wiring in mine and used cable reels had the date of manufacture as late 50s - early 60s (can't remember the exact year).

How many sockets has the house got? I had a one double in each of the main living rooms and two singles in the bedrooms, no where enough for current day living.

My recommendation to get it done on the cheap is to get everything surface mounted. You can pull up the carpets and run wires under/between floors and then move in. Then as money and time allows you can chase the cables into the walls and install backboxes and flush fittings. I really don't see you getting any money off for the rewire though, I'd be extremely surprised if the estate agents hadn't already included that into the market price.

We found as soon as the plaster started to get chased and cut etc massive chunks were coming off and it was far from ideal. Surface mount everything so it's safe and cheap and then you can replaster each room at a time.

Often the light switch drops will have been done in conduit, so new cables can be drawn in.

Talking about conduit, I think there is big chance there is one as it look light loft light has one on the attached picture.

The issue here is that the house may not need rewiring as such, just improving. It would certainly benefit from a rewire.

The biggest problem you will have will be from the seller who will tell you it's fine.

The issue here is that the house may not need rewiring as such, just improving.

That's probably still ok as we think about selling it after 5 years, as this will be our first house. I was more concern if the house needs to be re-wired in order to be safe to live in it.

How many sockets has the house got? I had a one double in each of the main living rooms and two singles in the bedrooms, no where enough for current day living.

Exactly the same.

We found as soon as the plaster started to get chased and cut etc massive chunks were coming off and it was far from ideal.

That's is my concern when I mentioned about opening the can of warms, hence I was asking about re-plastering the whole house. Again I'm not sure if this is worth it considering we will be selling in 5 years.

I have just put on offer, so if it is accepted I will definitely do PIR as soon as possible. Many thanks to you all for your help!!

Hi,

Having seen the picture below, do others agree that those exposed terminals above that metal fuseboard at the bottom of your picture (which does look to be 1930's in age) look as though they could be live, and totally exposed to being touched?

The best thing would be not to go near that lot, keep the cupboard closed and locked until a sparks can advise what you are dealing with.

I'd suggest you aim to rewire, in all honesty. There will never be a better time to have it done, and then you can know that everything is safe and up to date. As others have said, any extensions could well not need doing, so that may make it slightly cheaper.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck with the move. Be careful out there :)

FWIW,

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back