Will a fuse box to consumer unit upgrade fix the issue?

I have, and there was nothing mentioned in the reports relatig to the electrics unfortunately :(.;we havent had an issue until now and to be fair, if I hadnt been stood under it the other day, I wouldnt have even noticed it. This could have been going on for ages and ive just not noticed it.

im now just worried and really confused. There seems to be so many different possibilities and now im not sure what to do

Sponsored Links
... we havent had an issue until now and to be fair, if I hadnt been stood under it the other day, I wouldnt have even noticed it. This could have been going on for ages and ive just not noticed it. ... im now just worried and really confused. There seems to be so many different possibilities and now im not sure what to do
I can understand that. As you suggest, it's quite possible always been as it is now, and you've only recently noticed the buzz. If you avoid overloading the 20A MCB, you'll probably avoid the buzz and all should be OK.

However, as has been suggested, if you can affors it, it would probably make sense to have a full inspection ('EICR') of the electrical installation undertaken, in order to determine what work would need to be done. I agree with others that it probably makes little sense to just have the fuse box replaced now, before you have determined what other work would need to be done - and once you know that (and what it will cost), you can decide what/when to have done.

Kind Regards, John

The first thing I was going to suggest was an MCB being highly loaded, but then I read this:

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but wanting to grab some opinions from the electricans out there.

I recently started hearing a quiet buzzing sound from our old wylex fuse board (with wired fuses)
So I assumed they were all wired... never mind!

My in-laws have a similarly old wylex board with a 40A shower breaker which always buzzes. It's not being overloaded, it just wants to behave that way.

I would suspect something similar is happening to yours. The heating elements in most appliances are <10A, so you should still be OK with 2 items running and not having the buzz.

I have come across three different variants of Wylex MCB. These are, from oldest to 'newest' (term used loosely):

a) Round push-button type
b) Lever-arm MCB which fit the old fuse holders directly (as in-laws)
c) Lever-arm MCB which have a different holder design to the fuses.

If you have a) or b) I would advise replacement (it might quieten the buzzing?), and as suggested save up for re-wire of at least the lighting and kitchen circuit.

Thank you for the information. I think we will have to have the assessment and then see what comes from it. I just assumed the electrican would test the circuit prior to fitting a new CU and advise on a cable upgrade if required.

by the looks of it, the 20amp mcb is one that had had the fixing changed to fit the mcb only and its a rocker switch. (Its a yellow socket on it and looks quite new). Thats never tripped since we have been here, and no fuses have gone. Surely if there was that much of an issue something would have blown or tripped?

Sponsored Links
Thats never tripped since we have been here, and no fuses have gone. Surely if there was that much of an issue something would have blown or tripped?
As I said, you would need a lot more than 20A, and for quite a long time, for it to trip - and that has probably never happened. The heating periods of washing machines and dishwashers (which is when they draw a lot of current) are relatively brief.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you for the info. I'll just have to krep my eye on it till the guys have been to look at it all. The better half has told me not to worry about it till then!

Cheers again

Oaky... so having taken everything into account in terms of the info you folks have given, I have just had a quick listen to the fusebox. With just the dishwaser running, there appears to be a very very quiet hum. So quiet I had to practically bolt my ear to it. After listening around the box, it did sound like it was coming from the mcb for that circuit. It wasnt doing that earlier when I had just the iron on full, so I'm wondering if the d/w could be playing up too. Gonna have to have a look see with maybe the w/m tomorrow. Thats brand new and on the same circuit and double socket. But with itbeing so quiet, it could have always been doing that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back